Bowel Obstruction now UTI

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warminwisco

Reaction score
Our lil 4 year old is getting metoclopramid hci for his bowel obstruction as he was dehydrated thin and we almost lost him. He is still lethargic now 7 days into meds and non eating so we give him Critical Care. He stares and just kind of sits but is starting to chase a bit and eating grass(he is not one to let us pick him up often but when he was sick was easy to pick up). Now he developed a bloody urine and is on Smz-tmp for the UTI.

So he is a week out getting better slowly but still not eating and his poops are soft maybe because he is getting liquid Critical Care.

Sio question is are we on the right track here with the vet? Is this something which will take some time to improve? How long do bowel UTI things take to resolve? Thanks 2 little brothers snoopy bandit bonded from birth when well tear up the house like tasmanian devils on a race course!

I could crown myself as I was giving him frosted flakes and graham crackers, I urge folks to just give em hay and pellets no banansas or sugar. Vet likes Oxbow Pellets. He is drinking I hear the little rattle ball in the bottle as we speak. He just wont eat pellets but does eat grass

Did the vet rule out bladder sludge as a primary cause for the UTI as well as the GI stasis(blockage) occurring. It's not uncommon for bladder sludge to cause a rabbit to stop eating due to pain, and that then can develop into gut slowdown and blockage. The vet may be able to tell this by palpation of the bladder, but usually they will do xrays to confirm. You may also be able to tell if it is this if there is thick pasty or thick creamy sediment in his urine(a bit of thin white calcium sediment is usually normal and ok). Could also possibly be bladder or kidney stones. Or it could just be a blockage and UTI, but because of the UTI I would want to make sure there is not bladder sludge/stones as the underlying cause of all this going on.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

Is your bun also getting pain meds? That's really important because if he's in pain still, he'll be less inclined to want to eat on his own.

Does he also get hay and/or leafy greens? When my rabbits have been ill and won't eat pellets, they will usually be more inclined to want to eat rabbit safe leafy greens or sometimes hay. Pellets and other high carb/sugar foods are usually the last thing they will eat because it further slows down their gut. They crave high moisture and high fiber foods to help get their gut contents moving.

Also, if your bun only has access to a bottle for water, I would also offer a water dish. Rabbits usually drink better and more from a dish, and hydration is extremely important right now for your bun with UTI and blockage issues.

Thanks we see the vet next tuesday so great things for us to remember to bring up. Great site great input you seem to have aot of great ideas to bring to the vet.I value your input!

He sits and stares so it just could be the discomfort.

If he's not on pain meds, I would want to get him on them asap. Today if possible. Vets usually use meloxicam. I would want the dose to be 0.6mg/kg or higher, daily. For more severe pain, tramadol is sometimes used.

Have been giving critical care for 9 days 4 times a day. He ate a whole branch of Kale yesterday and eating oxbow tim hay so thanks for the suggestion for leafy greens. He is drinking runnimg but wants to be alone and sits and stares. Stools are soft but not dairrehea, no more blood in urine since antibiotics for UTI 2 x a day for 10 days. His balance is of he is just not himself. Again see vet tuesday thanks for your help.

JBun you might be a rabbit reincarnated so why do rabbits sit for long periods and just stare at the wall when sick? We see vet today stones sludge pain meds thanks

Rabbits' brain have a tendancy to 'shut down' when they are in pain. It's why a rabbit in pain will generally just sit in a 'hen' position, not eating and not moving much, just staring at the wall. It's also why even a small matter causing a bit of pain can kill a rabbit when left untreated. even a rabbit with a bit of gaz in his stomach looks like he's on the verge of death, and he can be running around and eating two hours after being given the proper medication or stay hunched and develop stasis if nothing is done to relieve him. It's always very distressing because the rabbit who looked just fine in the morning can look awful a few hours later and you didn't see it coming at all (one of mine was fine yesterday and I had to take her to the vet this morning because she was hunched, irresponsive, not eating or pooing). Luckily, even if it's not as sudden, the other way is true too - rabbits are very quick to get better too. So one way or the other, in a lot of cases, one or two days will tell if the rabbit will be fine or not.

No stones or sludge per x ray and we asked vet for meloxicam and he is getting back to himself. We discontinued meds for his stomach as he is getting bowel sounds and thinking it will reduce diarrehea. Great advice from you all here on the forum, Bandit is getting back to his old self not staring as much and hopping around with his brother. He still is hanging in dark quiet spots in the house but he is not staring just kind of healing. Meloxicam once a day he is eating some pellets hay and drinking little stinker is getting hard ot catch again but really both of them have mellowed over the whole event. When Bandit was getting Critical Care Snoopy hopped up on the couch just to observe and watch over him, truley amazing pets!!. Vet bill was 137 bucks with x rays and meds very fair.

Not out of the woods yet. He is incontinent still with blood in urine. He has energy runs with his brother but his but is real wet all the time. 10 days of anitbiotics for UTI ends monday.Poops soft but round. He is still pretty week vet said could take for stomach to recover.

The vet was referring (probably) to cecotrophs, but it is hard to find those out of a healthy rabbit (healthy rabbits shouldn't leave ceotrophes where you can get, really). They are the gross, wet, blackberry looking poops if you have seen them. I doubt you will be able to do that, to be honest. But it would work well if you could- fecal transplants are becoming more popular in human medicine too (but apparently people don't like that idea) and horse foals do it on their own around weaning age.

It wasn't such a tidy case. As I understand buns can be long to overcome GI stasis. Been getting critical care in him slowly vet wants eight times a day I been up to 6-7. Any tricks on getting him to want CC? The tramadol helped , thanks again. He's got some energy today and moving a bit more versus staring. prolly been 3 weeks now I am seeing improvement but is he thin.

Little bits of CC and then a mouthful but I guess ya don't want to get it in his esophagus hold the washcloth up to his mouth so he can swallow so it all does not run out(that works). I had it to thin, had not figured this out and should be able to get 8 syringes in him as vet wants. He is still not eating grass bummer, he will eat kale and a few ground blown banana chips which vet thinks it is OK to fatten him up but straight pellets and grass he not eating. Now that I am giving him milkshake thick CC he is pooping more but it is not diarrea but creamy. Gonna get some more kale mint other stuff to get him eating. I love him even more in his little helpless state I am his hovering caregiver as my wife went up north to plan my sons wedding. He will jump out of the cage and run a little his but is so poopy though for the carpet but I needed a cleaning anyway.

No more grinding of teeth though I gave him some Meloxicam he was getting pretty wobbly tramadol, does that mean he is in less pain? I can massage his tummy with little discomfort.

Latest posts

Back