Help! Cage Biting and Post spay behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose_414

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a gorgeous Netherland dwarf who is 1 year and 5 months old. She has recently been spayed (around 3 months ago) and is a house rabbit. She has a two storey cage and is let out for a MINIMUM of 6 hours a day- usually more than this.

She wakes us up every morning at 6.30 ready to be fed. She bites the bars of her cage which is very noisy but I don't mind as I know it is because she wants her food. However, I am finding that when she has an opportunity to roam freely ( particularly in the morning) she will have fun roaming around for abit but then chooses to go into her cage and bite the bars even when the door is open. It's not constant and it's not all the time but it is very noisey and annoying. She has SO many toys which I change regularly but she's not interested.

In regards to her spay, the only change I've noticed is that she now poops in her cage religiously which is great. She is very vocal and grunts all the time when she's not impressed with something. She still lunges and scratches at the carpet constantly- again particularly in the morning.

I really thought these behaviours would settle after her spay.

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas are all greatly appreciated.

Sometimes spaying helps, sometimes it's not. She's still youngish and probably has lots of energy. And must enjoy the noise of the rattling cage. We had that problem, but we just switched do a less rattly cage (not an option for everyone obviously). It sounds like she's a classic rabbit with the carpet scratching, unfortunately. The lunging you could work on behaviorally- I'd be happy to provide some instructions. Another option (not likely, but possible) is an ovarian remnant left behind during the spay (not the vet's fault, in some females of all species a bit of the ovary literally just sort of detaches itself and implants elsewhere for fun I guess :D ). A blood test can determine if that's the case (it's more likely behavioral, but it might be worth a check just in case). Some bad 'pre-spay' behaviors are started with hormones, but learned by the time we get them spayed unfortunately.

Thanks for the response. That's really interesting, I haven't heard of that before.

Any behavioural support and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know it probably doesn't help that I move my hand every time she does it.

Unfortunately that's the first step right there. Just hold your hand in her cage when she does it. You don't have to reprimand her or anything. Just hold it there. Once she stops, move your hand away. You could also have (small, rabbit healthy) treats in your hand that you only open if she's being polite (e.g. nose bumps rather than lunging). With some bunnies, a little squeak/yelp type thing helps- has never worked on mine unfortunately.

With the cage rattling, honestly mine still do it. Is there any way you could put something soft around where it hits so it doesn't make a noise? I think rabbits (some anyways) just enjoy doing this- it's nothing you are doing since it sounds like she gets lots of exercise and stimulation. Another thing to keep her from rattling would be to A) only feed her when she's quiet (I Know she's excited about the food, but you should in theory at least only reward quiet). or B) You could also encourage more out of her cage (away from the bars) time by hiding the food around the room she's in (just to keep her busy and searching).

The being vocal/grunting is just her way of yelling at you for coming in her 'bedroom' without asking permission. I personally allow my rabbits to grunt at me all they want (so long as it goes no further)- often I deserve it! :p

I just wanted to emphasize- from this post you are a good bunny owner! She gets exercise, toys, your love, she got spayed. And behavioral changes do take a while- so continue to be patient with her. Keep us updated!!

our rabbit was spayed in June, she still likes to nibble on the wire cage, and she'll grunt at you.

Latest posts

Back