New to bunnies.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotie

Reaction score
Hi, I am Scotie, I am a first time care taker of two bunnies, Tom Hanks (temporary name) the English Spot and Emily the Lop Ear. Technically my brother is their owner but he's been going through a rough patch so I'm taking care of them for him.

Until a few hours ago Tom Hanks was Isabelle btw. Fluffy little pervert tried to hump Emily, after months of living in the same hutch and cuddling up together and cleaning each other and parent-child stuff like that no problems despite both being well with in the age for that. No idea what happened there.

Anyway as I said I am new to bunnies and any advice is greatly appreciated thank you.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I second what Larry said -- females will hump each other to show dominance, especially once hormones activate. Do you know their ages?

As was said, it doesn't mean 'Isabelle' is a male. A girl could try to hump to dominate her mate. Rabbits are often hard to sex as babies, though, so a male being sold for a female is pretty common especially for petshops' bunnies. The thing is, no matter the sex, intact rabbits will fight when put together. Rabbits have to be neutered / spayed (BOTH of them) before they can share space so if they aren't you have to separate them until they are. I hope for you that you won't end up with a surprise pregnancy...
If you know very little about rabbits, I suggest you read this website which is really good and cover all the basis - it helped me a lot with my first bunny (which was also sold to me as a female and ended up being a male, despite coming from a woman who swore she was never wrong before... by the time I discovered the problem, he was so used to his name that he ended up being called 'Pandora' and making everyone laugh everytime we went to the vet his whole life ^^) :
http://rabbit.org/category/care/diet/

Oh God, really? I guess that would explain why he/she doesn't have testicles.
I don't know how old they are unfortunately. Like I said I'm not really their owner. My brother got Tom/Isabelle as a just weened baby in March, Emily he and mom got in June and we think she might haven been taken away from her mom too soon because I guess her eyes weren't open and she tried to nurse/Isabelle Tom, I wasn't in town at the time for her arrival so I don't really know. Mom is now saying she's too young to get pregnant so I guess we don't have to worry about that. She says we still have to have them separated so she doesn't get raped. I guess we'll just have to take them both to be checked at a vet, I've been trying to get my brother to take them to one since he brought Tom/Isabelle home but I guess he thought the breeder's word was enough and that there was no other reason to take rabbits to the vet.
I honestly don't know what I'm doing and I feel so guilty about it. Until my brother brought those bunnies home all I knew on the topic of bunny care were those articles always posted around Easter about why rabbits don't make good pets for children. I'm definitely going to give this site a good read through, the buns deserve the best care they can get.

Your mom is right that it is a good idea to separate them. From what you described, the first one is probably now 6-7 months of age. Definitely hormonal!

The second one, then, is about 2+ months of age. Females can be especially territorial, so the older one would want to put the new one "in her place." Once both are spayed, you can consider bonding them. Bonding has a better chance if they haven't fought beforehand. By keeping them separated now, that keeps them from hormonal fighting. So good call to separate them now.

Because of their ages, each rabbit should be on a different diet. You can see the difference between an adult diet (your older one is adult now) and a juvenile diet here.

There is lots of good info on this forum including about bonding, so you should enjoy going through it. Any questions, of course, just ask!

Sheesh, what kind of breeder sells a rabbit who has their eyes closed? God, that makes me so mad! She could have died! It's good that you separated the rabbits. Even though Emily is young, some does get pregnant really young, sometimes before their 3rd month. It's rare, but it happens and it generally kills the doe.
Don't worry, the situation isn't your fault - taking care of rabbits isn't that difficult once you've read a good website and if you ask questions about the specific, most of the members here have had rabbits for a long time so we generally went through the same things most new owners experience. A vet visit to make sure about the sexes and discuss spaying (or neutering if you indeed have a male... a male's testicules aren't always easy to see as they tend to retract them in their belly to keep them warm and protect them which is why rabbits can be so tricky to sex) would indeed be good. Tom/Isabelle is old enough to be spayed or neutered anyway and it's best to have a check-up before doing it.
Anyway, those bunnies seem to be in good hands, now ^^.

Latest posts

Back