Dewlap?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil24

Reaction score
Greater Vancouver Area, British Columbia, Canada
My godmother, a huge rabbit lover, had told me that Ruby's "double chin" is called a dewlap (spelling?). And it's quite big. She's not spayed even though shes over 2 years old. (She was going to be spayed at 9 months, but problems with weight became an issue). I do plan on getting her spayed but I'm still concerned about her weight. Is her dewlap, or "double chin", a reflection on her weight or diet? Or is it to do with the fact that she's a non-spayed female rabbit?

The dewlap is some reflection on your rabbit's weight. My Ebony bun is a stocky mini-lop who has a noticeable dewlap.

My vet told me that rabbits store fat in their dewlap in the same way that camels store water in their humps (kind of a reserve store). Although it shouldn't affect the rabbit's breathing, its a good idea to check the skin underneath tobe sureits not irritated (where the dewlap is less air can get to the skin under it).

Different rabbit breeds have different healthy weights, your vet should be able to let you know if your girl's weight is OK.

Hope this helps :)

Jo xx

Typically, most unspayed females will have dewlaps - the dewlap is there to give them a place to pull fur out of when they're nesting, and extra fat reserves for a nursing momma. Sometimes a huge dewlap can mean they're carrying extra weight, but a dewlap in general is not a cause for alarm on a 2 year old unspayed girl.

It's more of a concern if a rabbit suddenly develops a dewlap. My girl was spayed young and doesn't have one at all, so if she suddenly developed one that would likely mean she's too fat.

Latest posts

Back