Pregnant rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haleygrl06

Reaction score
So I'm new to owning rabbits. I got a male one(not knowing what gender he was yet) and then a week later I got a female one. They got along SO well and they were sharing a cage for about 2 weeks. After I found out how young they got pregnant I seperated them. My female who is usually super sweet is very shy now and is starting to look like she might be making a nest and is being aggressive towards my male bunny when they are out to play together! Are these signs of pregnancy and is she most likely pregnant?

NEVER put two intact rabbits together no matter the sex. Beside the risk of pregnancy, which can kill a young female and might end up badly for her and her kits, the rabbits could fight and seriously injure themselves. If your male tries to mount your female and that she's unwilling, she can litteraly castrate him with her teeth (yes, it does happen and sometimes, the male dies). Why would you even put them together at all if you are worried about a pregnancy : you do realize it takes a few seconds for the breeding to occur...
Get the male spayed immediately. Keep the rabbits separated for about a month after that. If there are babies and that they survive, you'll need to wait until they are weaned to get the female neutered and a month after that to put your two rabbits together while you find families for the kits. If she's not, you will be able to get her spayed sooner.

NEVER put two intact rabbits together no matter the sex.
At least not when you don't know what you are doing (from personal experience).

Don't listen experiences like I can tell as long as they don't come to you naturally:

I have 2 does (mother/daughter) happily living together (and their litters from time to time) but that needs constant monitoring of their social hierachy, I had to take the 3rd doe (another, younger daughter) out because she got mobbed by the other 2.

Doe + buck = pregnant doe. When they are at least 12-16 weeks old (depends on breed, size, line...) it sometimes just takes seconds to get the deed done.

I had the same mishap when I bought my second "doe" from an experienced breeder, and was so happy that they got along really well, when the nestbuilding started I checked the second "doe" again and had a litter of 5 shortly after.

This 2 got along well during pregnancy, but most of my girls will react like yours, beeing somewhat grumpy and quite vocal with the buck. A grumpy doe can be sometimes dangerous to the buck.

Anyway, you should give her a nestbox right away (a more or less closed box with an entrance for her, about her max, stretched out lenght and appr.3-4 times her width - that's what I use, there are a lot of other designs and opinions out there) and enough nesting materiel (hay) for at least 32 days counting from her last being with the buck.
In the meantime get him spayed asap if you have the rabbits as pets.

And make a plan what to do with the offspring, look at ads of craiglist or any equivalent to get an idea of the local market in time.

There is the slight chance that you're dealing with a false pregnancy, but I wouldn't bet on that.

If you don't spay her (non of my rabbits is spayed) you'll quite likely have to deal with those false pregnancys from time to time, and the does are not really happy about that, they evolved to breed - that's what they excel at, and have that urge, if kept unspayed and unbred imho they are somewhat frustrated, let alone their hormonal mood swings.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back