Favorite rabbit food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
I am trying to see what my rabbit likes in terms of veggies and treats. She is about 13 weeks so I know I'm not suppose to feed a large amount of fresh foods to her. I am using this as part of our bonding process and I am only feeding a small amount and not switching often.
So anyways... So far she loves parsley and kinda likes dill. She Won't eat mint, romaine, banana, berries. I'm surprised she wouldn't eat the banana because I hear bunnys love them. So should I buy rabbit treats at a store? I don't know if she is really picky or just too young or because she is still eating unlimited pellets. She doesn't seem to like anything other than parsley.

Try Cilantro. That's usually like bunny crack.

No need to buy store treats. Try making your own, lots of recipes on the forum. Or just use your fresh fruits as a treat since that's all their supposed to be anyway.

Do she have unlimited hay too?

I would think about feeding some natural stuff, good starting greens are leaves of rosea plants (untreated roses, apple trees, raspberry, blackberry,...), plantain, yarrow,...
And grass and other weeds, starting with very small amounts and increasing slowly in the course of 2 weeks, while having an eye on the consistence of her poops.

She is about 13 weeks so I know I'm not suppose to feed a large amount of fresh foods to her.
Problem is not so much the age, but that she isn't used to it, and changing diet around weaning age is imho not the best idea, so maybe wait some weeks. My kits eat all the green stuff and forage from the first day the leave the nestbox (and very little else), but there is more than one right way to feed a rabbit.
Getting it used to green stuff has the advantage that is not a problem to let it out onto the lawn (if untreated...)

Anyway, the treats I've seen in our local pet stores were utter crap. Full of sugar and other stuff.
I give them pellets as treat (about a Tbsp), and kits and nursing does get some plain kitchen oatmeal - they love that. But as it is high in calories that a pet bunny wont need always use in moderation.
Same with very high sugar treats like raisins or craisins, or other dried fruit, only small amounts per day.

Last edited:
As you begin to slowly introduce her to new greens, be patient. It often takes more than one offering before they try something new. Don't just offer romaine once and then decide she doesn't like it. She doesn't know if she likes it or not. To her it is just unfamiliar. Offer it a number of different times and/or put a little in with what you know she already likes.

Offer one new type only every few days. No rush.

I agree cilantro is a common favorite.

I would hold off on offering any fruits until she's first gotten accustomed to a large variety of greens. Once she's grown to be on a diet that includes a couple cups of daily greens, then you can try the occasional fruit. Fruit is just a treat - not necessary. It's loaded with sugar and sugar can cause an imbalance of bacterial growth in the gut. Giving her young tummy a chance to mature first is the safer route.

I've never bought any treats for Andy, if i did buy treats i would get some made by a trusted brand like oxbow, like Watermelons said, you can make treats too.
I'm surprised she doesn't like romaine lettuce or bananas my bunny LOVES both.

You could also try different types of hay! My rabbits get Timothy as their 'regular' hay (unlimited). But I then give them the Orchard Grass hay as a treat and they seem to like that a lot!
But I agree with everyone else- you don't need to buy treats. If you do, I suggest Oxbow treats, since my rabbits do LOVE some of their baked treats (we got them as a gift for Christmas last year).

Thanks everyone. Yes she does have unlimited amount of hay and pellets right now. She has 2 types of hay, alfalfa and Timothy. She seems to like the Timothy better surprisingly. I'm going to start to slowly decrease the amount of pellets soon.

381f8de2939732a52701441b304e1c52.jpg

Cilantro for the win! [emoji1303][emoji1303]

57498d2779fcccf8051f2c8751c97f7a.jpg

she's soo cute!
i love that strawberry hideout in the back! glad to see she likes the cilantro. :)

Latest posts

Back