Water bottle

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyngdorf

Reaction score
How do I teach mybunny to drink from a water bottle instead of the water bowl? Should I takethe water bowl out of her cage and just have the hanging bottle and hope she figures it out? I have tried showing her the bottle and how it works but she is not showing any interest in it... The problem with the water bowl is that she gets water up her nose and starts sneezing like crazy, and she likes to use it as a foot bath and toilet...:?

Thanks!

/Sandra

I wouldn't remove the bowl until you know she is drinking from the bottle. You don't want her to dehydrate.

You could tryadding a little vanilla extract or apple juice to the water in thebottle to get her interested.

I read someone on here saying they put the water bowl directly underneath the bottle so the rabbit got the idea - try that, but keep some water in the bowl just to make sure there is water available at all times...

My 2 most recent additions never had a water bottle before I got them. I just left them with the bottle and they figured it out in about 2 hours just by being curious. They both accidentally bumped the ball and went "oh!" no problems since

Holly used a bowl when I got her. I just put a little bowl of water underneath the bottle and after a couple days she was only using the bottle so I took the bowl away. Make sure you actually see your rabbit using the bottle before you take the bowl away though.

Crystal

Thanks for all the replies! I have had the water bowl under the bottle for the last week but she has shown no interest in it at all:?

Most rabbits prefer the bowl and drink more from a bowl. If you really want her to switch to a bottle, you may have to take the bowl away entirely at a time when you can keep an eye on things. I would use a marker or colored tape or something to mark the water level in the bottle and then check back in maybe 2-4 hours to see if the water level has gone down.

Any luck with your guy? My girls won't use the bottles either. I've tried taking the bowl out and she still wouldn't touch it. I wouldn't care so much but my big girl loves to dump her water bowl, so either way she's without water until I fill it again since she won't drink from the bottle.

Try getting a heavy ceramic bowl with straight (not tapered) sides; something like this (not the small size though, of course, but that basic shape/design). A lot of times Dollar Tree has them for $1 in a size that's perfect as a rabbit water bowl (in the cat/dog section). You could also get a crock that latches to the side of the cage (get the plastic one if you go this route - don't get the kind that's a stainless steel bowl that sits on a metal ring for easy removal! Alice quickly showed me that a rabbit can shove their head under the bowl and pop it out). She's a maniac about flipping water bowls but has never been able to tip the heavy ceramic bowls from Dollar Tree.

Latest posts

Back