Becoming a rabbit breeder in Canada

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My mom used to breed Netherland Dwarf rabbits when i was very young.But she never told me she had to sign up with anything to become arabbit breeder in Canada. Is it ok to become a rabbit breeder in Canadaanytime you want without filling out any forms or signing up withanything in Canada. I heard that in America you have to join theARBA....am I right? My mom never showed rabbits, she just sold them asloving pets to responsible people that would look after therabbit. If my mom ever wanted to breed rabbits again, wouldshe have to sign up with any kind of breedersassociation/clubin Canada....even though she wouldn't be showing the rabbits?

Cassandra

Breeders are not required to join the ARBA in theUS. Most reputable breeders are members as it's the onlynational all breed registry. Canada is also sanctioned underARBA as is Japan and all US territories.

So, no -- you are not required to be a member of the breed registry organization, however it is recommended.

Pam

You dont have to join but its a great bargain, arabbit magazine is$ 7.50 at the pet store and for a few dollars morethan that you get a book and a magazine from ARBA.The book alone isworth the price.bluebird

It is indeed a great bargain! You'llreceiveARBA's publication "Raising Better Rabbits &Cavies", with information on all aspects of raising rabbits.An excellent reference!

Pam

Great to hear that you wanna became abreeder. Are you just going to breed Angoras or no?That is a deal as i'm going to join it to and i don't breed rabbits yetbut i think that i'm geting 2 or 3 holland from a lady so i might breedthem on a small scale.

-Robert-

Robert,

Well I'm a little bit too young to become a breeder....i'm 13...butwhen I get older I'm definetely becoming a french angora rabbitbreeder. I'll probably be the firstfrench angora breeder inLondon/Ontario. Thanks for all the info youguys:DAlso I have one more question....at what age can youbecome a rabbit breeder?

Cassandra

No age restrictions on becoming a breeder:) Children can show and manage their own herds at very youngages. My 5 year old's goal is to become a judgesomeday.

Pam

wow really?! I would love to become a rabbitbreeder right now! But I already start school on the 7th of Septemberso I might want wait till school is finished cause I need to study alot.:( I might become a breeder next summer though:)I can'twait! I'm gonna try my best to be a first timefrench angorabreeder in London/Ontario. I better do a lot of research on frenchangoras then. . . .I wanna be aloving and caring angorarabbit breeder:)

:DCassandra:D

Wow from all of the info you have gaven i thoughtthat you were an adult your even younger than me as i'm only14. Hope that you have your dream come true. I'mgetting a breeding paiur of hollands next weekend unless she sells themby then but otherwise i think that i'm getting little ones and i can'twait. I won't have many hollands but just a few.

-Robert-

Well i just got some more info on the bunnys iwill be getting and the male is a solid tort the color that i wantedand he is 12 weeks old and the female is a broken tort and is 8 weeksold but will get a lil bigger than the buck. She'll get toabout 3.75pounds the lady said but they can get to 4 pounds for showand i'm not showing them. I'm soo excited.

-Robert-

Robert,

wow I didn't know you were 14:shock:I thought you were anadult with a family and stuff:shock:Were you the one thatmade those rabbit hutches for your rabbits? Cause O mY GoD you reallyhave a talent with building things:shock:I'm the worst abuilding things:pI always have to make my dad build therabbit hutches:p But I always new lots of info bout rabbitssince I started studying them when I was 5 years old. I was alwaysfacinated with rabbits.....and I still am.

You must be sooo excited to get your bunnies:DI would be tooif I were you. Well don't forget to let the forum know when you getyour bunnies;)Cause I can'twait for the pics ofthem! I'm sure there adorable!:)

CassandraP.S.- my dream will come true.....sooner later;)

Latest posts

Back