Bedding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionheads2

Reaction score
We have 2 Lionhead rabbits and a MiniRex. We use pine shavingsfor the Mini Rex and corbcob for the Lionheads. I have heard so many different things about the cob and was wondering how safe it is. The only reason why we use it is because shavings get tangled in our buns fur and caught in the fur near their eyes. Can anyone suggest an alternative bedding for our buns? They are not litter box trained and are in plastic bottom cages. Weare going to switch over to the Aspen for the Rex, but think it would still be too messy for the Lionheads even though the shavings look larger than the pine.

Help!

Thanks in advance -

Joyce :)

Hi! I use kiln dried pine pelleted bedding and put newspaper on top to make it easier and so it's also easier on their feet. It works great and is fantastic at absorbing. I have a lionhead too that has some long parts that hay does get tangled in often, and I've never had a problem with the pelleted bedding. I give it twohuge thumbsup! It's also inexpensive.

Some rabbits will eat corn cob litter, so it can be a bit dangerous if they ingest too much with blockages. I would switch over to wood pellet litter, and if you like just put newspaper on it. It will help with the smell, probably cost you less, and it's just over all fantastic!

Litter training is quite easy. Rabbits generally only go in one or two places :). Maybe put a litter box in the area that they pee in and they might even train themselves? Then if they do make a mess, simply clean the pee up and put the paper towel back in the litter box and wipe the area with water/vinegar.It took Pebbles under a week when she was around 12 weeks old to get it, and she only pees outside it when she gets upset by Poppy.

Good luck! :D

Thanks for the suggestions! We did see the wood pelleted bedding at the store, but we were not sure how safe it was. We'll go out tomorrow and get some. I think we might keep the mini rex on Aspen. Maybe the pellets would be too hard for his feet? I don't know.

When our buns are out for playtime, they actually use pee pads to pee on. They run over to the pads and go on them right away. They are so funny!:bunnydance: Maybe we'll put a litter box down when they come out to play.

Thanks again -

Joyce:jumpingbunny:

Latest posts

Back