Rabbit of the Month is WIKI, photo by lilnaugrim
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > I rescued from a farm store, keep bottle feeding??

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #1
emilyasb

So, as some of you are aware, I've been having issues with a local farm store that keeps getting baby rabbits and selling them, sick or extremely young, for profit.

I went there on afternoon and they had a little agouti male, with what seemed to be a broken front paw. I went back to get it, and found that it was gone. But, there was this inky-tiny little white furball in the corner, and it looked awful. I took it, knowing it probably was only 3 or 4 weeks.

I've had her for about a week now, and I'm bottle feeding her. When should I start to wean her? I've attached some pics of how big she is so you can estimate her age. I say she might be 4 weeks old. She won't eat anything else but the milk. There are some pictures of my mom feeding her too.

I'm also feeding KMR kittne milk, as the vet told me to feed. Is this okay?

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Mrs. PBJ

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I thinks it about 5 to 6 weeks for weaning. But I am not a breeder or have I never bottle fed baby bunnies.

I know the weaning process is hard on them.

I was looking for a library section but did not see one Tinysmom is a good person and randy are two wonderful people to talk to about weaning i will shoot them a Pm with the link

Old 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
pamnock

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In emergency situations, bunnies can be weaned as young as 3 weeks. In addition to pellets, feed a little hay, tiny amount of steam rolled oats and a little grated carrot and apple (start out with very tiny amounts). Greens can also be slowly added.

nockrabbits.com

Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
emilyasb

pamnock wrote:
Quote:
In emergency situations, bunnies can be weaned as young as 3 weeks. In addition to pellets, feed a little hay, tiny amount of steam rolled oats and a little grated carrot and apple (start out with very tiny amounts). Greens can also be slowly added.
Well, when should I start this? It's not interested in anything I have to offer. I mean, it will lick on some shredded carrots that I've offered, and it sniffs at the hay, but it generally just waits in the little carrier I have it in until feeding time.

Do you have an estimate as to age? Like, from body size? Thanks for the help and tips so far!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
pamnock

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The grated carrots or a little hay might temp the bunny to start nibbling on some solid foods. I agree that it only appears to be 2-3 weeks of age from the photo.

nockrabbits.com

Old 03-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
emilyasb

pamnock wrote:
Quote:
The grated carrots or a little hay might temp the bunny to start nibbling on some solid foods. I agree that it only appears to be 2-3 weeks of age from the photo.
Wow, it'sa lot younger than I thought. Can stores legally sell rabbits that young?!

So, is this an emergency situation? Should I continue to bottle feed or try to wean it to solids? I don't know much about raising rabbits, so I don't know when they start to try solids and when they totally switch to solids. Sorry for all the questions!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Korr_and_Sophie

Liked 223 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just a thought, do you have another rabbit that you could put this one with? S/he might not know that what you are offering is food. Another rabbit would eat the offered food, so the young one should realize that it is food.
I would put a small amount of food, pellets and hay, in the carrier/cage. Know how much you put in, so you can measure it to see if some has been eaten. As s/he is only a few weeks, s/he might not be wanting to nibble yet.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
emilyasb

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Quote:
Just a thought, do you have another rabbit that you could put this one with? S/he might not know that what you are offering is food. Another rabbit would eat the offered food, so the young one should realize that it is food.
I would put a small amount of food, pellets and hay, in the carrier/cage. Know how much you put in, so you can measure it to see if some has been eaten. As s/he is only a few weeks, s/he might not be wanting to nibble yet.
Yes, I have another 3 month old dwarf buck. I just wasn't sure to put him in the cage with Jack since I've had bad experiences with introductions, and this little one is a female *I think*. I don't know how early they can breed, but I just don't want to chance it, but if you think I should try then I might.

I'll offer her a little hay, pellets, and veggies tonight.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #9
Luvmyzoocrew

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

oh how cute, i hope the best for you and this wee lil one!!!!