Rabbit of the Month is ?
Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > Continental German Giant aka Conti

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #11
Baracuda56
"Love My Buns"

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

OK we have desided to take Sheba she will be flown in from Whasington, just waitting on a flight schedual from the breeder. If her ear dont get any stronger it can be a genetic weakness that can show up in future litters if and when we deside to breed her. The breeder is paying for the flight since we paid such a big amount for Sheba and she just wants Sheba to go to a loving home with us after all these weeks of waitting and watching her grow. So when we have the schedual for flight day i will post up pics of us picking her up and her comming home.

This is our first Continental German Giant rabbit.
She is due to be bred in March to a HUGE 19 pound Flemish Giant buck so that we have F1 babies Conti x Flemish.

and a Continental German Giant

Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
Aki
Liked 192 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 25

She's really cute, but I'm kinda curious about how much you paid for her. You mentionned twice paying a lot for her and in France, rabbits cost next to nothing. Especially giant breeds. I could get a very good doe from titled parents for around 50$. Maybe it's because rabbits are still not very highly considered as pets and that most people buying big breeds would do it for the meat but rabbits are really cheap here (that's part of the problem with the follow up - most people don't understand why they would pay 100 euros at the vet when they can get a new rabbit for 5).

Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
Baracuda56
"Love My Buns"

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki View Post
She's really cute, but I'm kinda curious about how much you paid for her. You mentionned twice paying a lot for her and in France, rabbits cost next to nothing. Especially giant breeds. I could get a very good doe from titled parents for around 50$. Maybe it's because rabbits are still not very highly considered as pets and that most people buying big breeds would do it for the meat but rabbits are really cheap here (that's part of the problem with the follow up - most people don't understand why they would pay 100 euros at the vet when they can get a new rabbit for 5).
Hi Aki, over where you are the giant breeds are more cheaper but here in US the continental German Giant is still relitively new theres not alot of them out there per say there is several good breeders and over here we have certain color standrads and stuff where as where you are color dont seem to matter much from what i understand. There is a breeder in the states here that has many imports she gets flown it and its not cheap to do so. Our bun ran us $300.oo plus $140.oo for shipping not cheap for those of us on a low fixed income. And the reason why someone would pay so much money at a vet for there services for the rabbit is because they love there rabbit as if it was a member of the family, you cant just toss the bun to the side and say HEY i think today i will get another rabbit and get rid of this one insted of paying such a high vet bill. Over here Conti's go for up to $400.oo or more depending on who the breeder is and the quality of the rabbit. The Conti we are getting was not only going to be a family pet but our breeding stock doe but cant take the chance of her having any genetic problems that could possibly pass on to her offspring like the weakness in the ear shaft this may or may not pass on to the offspring once we breed her, we are hoping by breeding her to a top selected healthy Flemish Giant buck with great ear cartilage that her F1 offspring will have strong ear bases and not end up with floppy ear. One can only hope for the best and if her offspring do show signs of weakness then she will be fixed and no longer be a breeder and her babies given away as pets only not breeders.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #14
Whiterabbitrage
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 202 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 241

I think giant rabbits with one floppy ear would be a great pet! I'd buy one!

Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #15
Aki
Liked 192 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracuda56 View Post
Hi Aki, over where you are the giant breeds are more cheaper but here in US the continental German Giant is still relitively new theres not alot of them out there per say there is several good breeders and over here we have certain color standrads and stuff where as where you are color dont seem to matter much from what i understand. There is a breeder in the states here that has many imports she gets flown it and its not cheap to do so. Our bun ran us $300.oo plus $140.oo for shipping not cheap for those of us on a low fixed income. And the reason why someone would pay so much money at a vet for there services for the rabbit is because they love there rabbit as if it was a member of the family, you cant just toss the bun to the side and say HEY i think today i will get another rabbit and get rid of this one insted of paying such a high vet bill. Over here Conti's go for up to $400.oo or more depending on who the breeder is and the quality of the rabbit. The Conti we are getting was not only going to be a family pet but our breeding stock doe but cant take the chance of her having any genetic problems that could possibly pass on to her offspring like the weakness in the ear shaft this may or may not pass on to the offspring once we breed her, we are hoping by breeding her to a top selected healthy Flemish Giant buck with great ear cartilage that her F1 offspring will have strong ear bases and not end up with floppy ear. One can only hope for the best and if her offspring do show signs of weakness then she will be fixed and no longer be a breeder and her babies given away as pets only not breeders.
I wasn't asking about paying for the vet, of course - I don't even want to know how much I paid in vet bills for Aki during the past 8 years (a lot more than 400$, that's for sure ^^'). I was only curious about the price of the rabbits. 400$ for a Conti is unheard of in France, but if they are more rare where you are that make sense. Here, they are also cheaper than say a Netherland dwarf because they make bigger litters (like you would pay less for a Newfoundland than for a chihuahua considering you get like 12 babies out of a litter for one and only one or two for the second). Also, everything related to animals sound a lot more expensive in the US, from vet bills to the price of any animal - I'm also on a German Shepherd forum and I regularly see people paying 3000$ and more for a dog whereas you can get a very solid puppy with a great pedigree for half that price in France.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #16
mallowford5
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

she's just so adorable and cute! I wish I can take her too!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #17
Baracuda56
"Love My Buns"

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

YIPPY!! Our flight schedual is for Friday Oct 20th flight #4529 shes due to arrive at 4:48pm at Cherry Capitol Airport which is 30 mins from here and we will be at the airport at 4pm so we can watch for her plane to arrive i want to take pics of the plane comming in if i can see it out there windows, we will have time to grab a bite to eat as well befour she comes in a quick sandwhich and drink, it will take another 30 mins for processing her thru for us to pick her up im gona snap pics of everything i can if they dont take my cam away airports are funny about stuff like that they think it can be used as a weapon these days... We are also going to the vet to pick up womrer and are going to worm everyone both the dwarf rabbits and Queen Sheba since i dont think the breeder wormed her and the little dwarf polish rescue has not been cared for properly nither so all rabbits are getting wormed the same day. We are so excited have been waitting for her to come home for over 12 weeks now we have watch her grow since she was born. Wow has time flown by quickly spring and summer came and went and now fall is quickly going by soon we will have that funky white stuff on the ground again, phooooooooooooy.... Snow is pretty but thats as far as it goes with me i hibernate in winter LOL!!

Latest pic of Q. Sheba she loves being held and cuddled. Shes getting bigger.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheba getting big loves hugs.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	19367