Toilet training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I’ve had my rabbits for over a year now and they’re both pretty much completely toilet trained. But one of my rabbits spends 24/7 in her litter box and if I move it she will continue to poop and pee on what ever I put there in place of the litter box. So if I moved the litter box to another corner and put bricks where it was, she will sit on them,poo on them,and pee on them.It’s pretty much her dining room,kitchen,bathroom and bedroom all in one. Can rabbits get sore hocks from sitting in their pee and poop all day? I clean out both their litter boxes every 2nd day or whenever needed and add lots of hay. Her hutch is in the grass and the only other place she likes going is on a little wooden box I made her but she only goes on that when I come out in the morning with food.View attachment CDB5EE7E-DB63-47E4-8B4E-B79B1F7AE6AC-2828-00000A86FD4AFF02.jpg <——-This is what her hutch looks like

Rabbits will generally continue to poop and pee where the litterbox was. Laying in soiled litter all day is not ideal. You could try to put something in the litter box to 'isolate' the bunny from the poop and the pee. I know people who use a sink mat - they just put it on top of the litter and it seems to work fine.

Rabbits will generally continue to poop and pee where the litterbox was. Laying in soiled litter all day is not ideal. You could try to put something in the litter box to 'isolate' the bunny from the poop and the pee. I know people who use a sink mat - they just put it on top of the litter and it seems to work fine.

Ok thanks I’ll try that!

they can definitely get sore hocks/urine burn from standing in poop and pee all day unfortunately. she sounds like a right little madam! before i say this i do NOT recommend keeping your rabbits on wire flooring constantly and i am against that but have you thought about a litter tray with a plastic grate on top? so that their pee and poo goes through the holes and she can't directly stand on any of it. i highly doubt she would want to stand on the grate instead. :)

they can definitely get sore hocks/urine burn from standing in poop and pee all day unfortunately. she sounds like a right little madam! before i say this i do NOT recommend keeping your rabbits on wire flooring constantly and i am against that but have you thought about a litter tray with a plastic grate on top? so that their pee and poo goes through the holes and she can't directly stand on any of it. i highly doubt she would want to stand on the grate instead. :)

It’s not like she is standing in soggy hay and poop all day, she always has a thick layer of hay overtop and I clean her toilet every 2nd day. I top her toilet up with hay every day once or twice. Her hutch has pavers on the ground and I would never put them on wire flooring[emoji23]

Latest posts

Back