Red pee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi-
So hopefully this will be my last question for today, but for a while now I’ve been noticing my rabbit-(the same rabbit with linked poop and the dewlap that fur comes out easily) has been having red pee. Maybe for the last week. I’ve been cutting down her veggie intake because I read that it could have something to do with PH levels in veggies or something. I found this pee on the plate that goes under her hay rack to catch hay this afternoon. I’m really worried that all this linked poo and red pee could mean she’s sick. What should I do? Should I be worried?? As I sad, she’s acting completely normally and doesn’t seem sick. Any help appreciated.View attachment IMG_1507424208.520822.jpg

Rabbit urine can be that color normally- just depending on diet and hormones. I know it's very alarming the first time you see it! It is nothing to worry about (other than it's a pain to clean if they miss their litter boxes :p) If it were yellow with spots of red in it- that would be a problem.

OK, so you've really got to relax a bit or you're gonna have a stroke before end of your rabbit journey because owning rabbits is already stressful enough. ^^ Your rabbit is not sick, everything you describe is 100% normal. Your rabbit is losing fur. Either she is moulting which is normal, or she could have a phantom pregnancy if she is not spayed (it tends to losen the fur of the dewlap so the doe can make a nest). If she is not spayed yet, do it if she is above 7 months old. If she's younger, wait until she is old enough and get her done by a good vet. She's swallowing the lose fur while washing herself so it comes out in her poop, that's normal too. As long as she is eating and pooping there is nothing to worry about, it has happened to Aki for the past 8 years and she's fine. Red pee is very common, it can be induced by tons of stuff. It could be hormones or her marking her territory, especially if she is not spayed. Or it could be from what she eats. Urine changing color happens all the time and as long as there is not a lot of 'sand' in it (white thick discharge which indicates too much calcium) or blood (red streaks in the urine, generally indicating an UTI or uterine cancer when the rabbit isn't spayed), there is no reason to change her diet or anything.

Latest posts

Back