I Need Major Help With Nails!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bunch of hamsters for years and years as a kid and have a bunch now as well and I've never once clipped their nails... didn't think hammies needed it, since I've never seen them get long o_O

I've trimmed sugar glider nails, though, and gliders are maybe half the size of an adult Syrian hamster.

What is "the burrito"? I did not know they should be clipped so often!

I just clipped Shiny Things's nails yesterday because of this thread. Took me under 3 minutes to do all the nails (she is missing the dew claw on her front right food, so all the nails minus 1 but I did check that foot). She did not put up much of a fight at all, she knew I was not going to let up. As soon as I was done she jumped out of my hands, but came right back because she could tell that I had raisens. I will probably do Beautys nails tomorrow or tonight, though I just put them up a couple of minutes ago thinking I was going to home depot only to find out that they are closed.

My little boo's nails have gotten so long recently and she just won't let me trim them. I tried the bunny borito since that usually works but after only managing to trim 2 nails she bit my arm. It left a bruise and a mark and it startled me. She's a very friendly bunny,loves to be petted and cuddles. She's never bitten me before.:bigtears:

handling confidence makes a big difference in trimming nails .. that and TRAINING your rabbit to handle nail trims. Yes some of them can be nutters about it but that's where your confident handling comes into play...that and a sturdy jacket.

Most rabbits will not hold it against you if you handle them with confidence and get the job done. Shouldn't take longer than 3-5 minutes. Less if you are quick about it. (mine take 2 minutes each)

Take your bunny to a strange place to do his nails and just do it in your lap, a strange place like outside on the front porch or sit in the car- the strange environment noises and smells makes them sit still.

I just sit them in my lap and hold my rabbits like a football against my stomach, I do the front and back feet on the outside and then turn football rabbit around and do the other two feet. Sometimes I do have to roll them on there back to do the inside toes on my smaller rabbits.

I also put a pair of reading glasses over my regular glasses so I can really see what I'm doing.

I gave up on trimming my rabbits nails. When I do it they just squirm and fight. They are not afraid of me! I weigh 210 pounds! My 8 pound, 11 year old, bunny was not afraid of me! In the vet's office, when a stranger goes to clip their nails they will submit because they are afraid of strangers!

I've managed to do Baxter's nails all of once.....then he caught on and won't cooperate now! sigh....and He's a black bunner....clear nails are so much easier!! one thing we've done for all our Buns over the years was get a patio/paving stone for inside the cage...put it under the water bottle to catch drips and it will soak up the water..giving them a cooler spot during the warmer months (well...unless you are like Lola and like to BAKE-didn't matter how hot it was, she could always be found in the sun!).

the stone works like an emery board and helps to wear down the nails...

Latest posts

Back