My bunny keeps eating my "new" rug!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joei0005

Reaction score
I don't know why but my 4 year old Holland Lop, Pumpkin, has been nibbling on my rug.

I don't know how long this has been going on for because it looked he was just "rubbing" his chin on the rug until 2 weeks ago when the "holes" he made became apparent.

When I see him start doing it, I push him away and say "NO". He barely moves and starts again a few minutes later.

Besides the fact that he's destroying an expensive rug, I'm really concerned about the damage he's doing to himself.

There are always pellets and fresh hay available for him to eat. And we supplement this by hand feeding him greens.

Has anyone's rabbit exhibited this behavior? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get him to stop?

We don't cage him at all. He can go to his cage when he wants. We live in a studio apartment in Manhattan.

He seems to love the freedom he has since we got him from my wife's sister. He displays all the signs of a happy rabbit.

He flops. He binks. He runs around. I created a "bridge" from the couch to the bed and he climbs on us at night.

But he is the most stubborn "being" I ever met.

When rabbits have their mind set on something, it is really tough to drag them away from it. Bandit was just as stubborn.

If the chewing is in one particular area of the rug (rather than scattered over) you could put an alternative toy in that place. A dig mat or dig box, cardboard hidey box, or any other toy that covers the surface of the section of rug he is chewing at. Rabbits are often not deterred by being told off, so you not only need to break their focus, but you also need to draw their attention to something else with a distraction such as another toy.

Thanks. For some reason, the only area he chews is the area between my coffee table and my couch.

If say it's a one foot by one foot area, at the most.

And it's not like I don't pay attention too him. I'm constantly reaching down and petting him.

I'll try putting a small toy in the area.

Thanks!

Once upon a time I put a piece of banana down for my guy on the carpet. I swear he dug at that spot for months. I wondered if perhaps he could still smell it.

Perhaps. I have spilt a bit of milk on that section of the rug over the last month.

He doesn't seem to like milk but that is the same spot. I have a wet / dry vacuum that I could use to really clean the carpet.

careful with the vinegar tip- my guy ADORES it. I tried using it on my baseboards to deter him, and he licked them clean and went after them even more.

Latest posts

Back