Bonding with my bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingofeli

Reaction score
So I just (as in, two days ago) got two beautiful English Lops. They're awesome little guys, but I'd like to know what is the best way, or ways, to socialize them and get them used to me? I've been sitting in the room with them and letting them do their own thing, and that seems to be working, but I want to know if there's a better way?

You're already on the right track by doing what you're doing. (and congratulations on your two new bunnies!)

By being near them and not bothering them, they are learning that you are "safe." If they haven't done so already, they will begin to approach you. Let them but don't interact with them initially. By ignoring them, it reinforces the idea that you are safe. Gradually you can reach out to pet them.

I go into more detail on bonding with your bunny at my rabbit care website which you can see here if you would like.

You're already on the right track by doing what you're doing. (and congratulations on your two new bunnies!)

By being near them and not bothering them, they are learning that you are "safe." If they haven't done so already, they will begin to approach you. Let them but don't interact with them initially. By ignoring them, it reinforces the idea that you are safe. Gradually you can reach out to pet them.

I go into more detail on bonding with your bunny at my rabbit care website which you can see here if you would like.

Thank you so much for your advice! I'll definitely read more on your website.

It is a slow process, and it seems with rabbits that the relationship development takes a longer period of time, but during this time can become something really special. After the initial hurdle of adapting to a new location, I've come to like the immersion training that is often used with people. That is, I take the rabbit to a new situation that corresponds to what I want or need bunny to handle without causing her/him distress, and continue to move forward until the rabbit indicates they are beginning to become stressed/unhappy. At that point, I stop, return bunny to where she was before we started, and then pickup the next day, with the goal of getting a little further than the day before. This, coupled with positive reinforcement, I find works very well in getting a house rabbit used to something that would terrify a wild rabbit. One example is being held. In order to be groomed, have nails trimmed, have the poopybutt cleaned up, etc., a rabbit will need to be held to a certain extent. With this method, you are constantly sending the message of, "when you get picked up, no one is going to eat you...instead, when I pick you up I am going to feed you." Progressively, the rabbit shifts from being scared when picked up to being mildly annoyed...far more desirable given the mild annoyance isn't going to cause the health issues that constant stress can. I've done the same with things like grabbing/touching feet, cleaning glands, reaching into a cage, driving places, free-roaming in new locations, interacting with strangers, etc. While it hasn't worked with all rabbits, it has worked with quite a few. I think it works best when you have a rabbit that is very food driven, because you can condition these situations to be equated with a feast instead of fear. Two rabbits I have done this with that are extremely food driven and food thieves seem to enjoy many of these new situations from the start, and I think it is partly because their primary thought is figuring out where food is and how they can steal it without anyone noticing.

It is a slow process, and it seems with rabbits that the relationship development takes a longer period of time, but during this time can become something really special. After the initial hurdle of adapting to a new location, I've come to like the immersion training that is often used with people. That is, I take the rabbit to a new situation that corresponds to what I want or need bunny to handle without causing her/him distress, and continue to move forward until the rabbit indicates they are beginning to become stressed/unhappy. At that point, I stop, return bunny to where she was before we started, and then pickup the next day, with the goal of getting a little further than the day before. This, coupled with positive reinforcement, I find works very well in getting a house rabbit used to something that would terrify a wild rabbit. One example is being held. In order to be groomed, have nails trimmed, have the poopybutt cleaned up, etc., a rabbit will need to be held to a certain extent. With this method, you are constantly sending the message of, "when you get picked up, no one is going to eat you...instead, when I pick you up I am going to feed you." Progressively, the rabbit shifts from being scared when picked up to being mildly annoyed...far more desirable given the mild annoyance isn't going to cause the health issues that constant stress can. I've done the same with things like grabbing/touching feet, cleaning glands, reaching into a cage, driving places, free-roaming in new locations, interacting with strangers, etc. While it hasn't worked with all rabbits, it has worked with quite a few. I think it works best when you have a rabbit that is very food driven, because you can condition these situations to be equated with a feast instead of fear. Two rabbits I have done this with that are extremely food driven and food thieves seem to enjoy many of these new situations from the start, and I think it is partly because their primary thought is figuring out where food is and how they can steal it without anyone noticing.

Thank you so much for your advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind when I'm working with them.

Latest posts

Back