New rabbit breeder HELP!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhulton

Reaction score
I'm new to rabbit breeding. Just got my setup and rabbits last week. Got 1 buck Flemish and 2 doe New Zealand. Both of my does are already pregnant. Previous owner told me the one doe would be ready mid week this past week. Still no babies and she's not even pulling any of her hair out. Should I be worried?? That's my first question. Second question is..... My other doe is also pregnant and not suppose to be ready til the first couple days of June. She started to pull her fur out 2 days ago and I wasn't ready for that because I didn't have her nesting box in. Wasn't able to put the box in til the next morning so I just put some straw in til the morning. When I woke the next morning she had a big pile of fur in the straw. I moved the straw and fur gently and put it in the nesting box. Now she will not even come close to the box. Did I mess up her nest by touching it? And she not due for at least another 7-8 days and she's already pulling her fur out. I didn't think they did that til a day or two before.
I'll take any help or suggestions anyone has to offer. I've done a lot of reading on breeding rabbits but remember I'm very new to this. Thanks for the help.

Did the breeder confirm by palpation that both does were pregnant? Will this be their first litter? It's hard to say whether the doe pulling fur is having a false pregnancy or, if a first-timer, she doesn't know what to do. There isn't a whole lot you can do just yet, but wait. Just a note, normally you use a smaller buck with a larger or same size doe, not the other way around.

I do not know if he checked by palpation. The doe that is pulling her fur out, this is her first pregnancy. And the other doe that I'm waiting on this will be her 2nd. Guess I'll just play the waiting game for a week or so and see what happens. After a few weeks I will try and breed her again and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

By day 35 or so, if the doe you're waiting on hasn't shown any signs of nesting or acting like she's ready to kindle, then you could try and re-breed.

Back