Bunny Genes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bklyford

Reaction score
We have a harlequin & a New Zealand White, but our kits are white with black spots and all black. I was expecting more variety in color and especially hoping for Magpie. Is this typical?

We have a harlequin & a New Zealand White, but our kits are white with black spots and all black. I was expecting more variety in color and especially hoping for Magpie. Is this typical?

Yes. Without knowing more about the genetic background you can only guess what is possible. I would suggest you google rabbit color genetics to learn more if you are interested.

Rabbits with pink eyes and white coloration can hide all sorts of color combinations. The "albino" gene causes a white rabbit with pink eyes and that masks anything else. Magpie, in basic terms, I think is caused by a combination of harlequin and chinchilla color genes.

Interesting thanks so much! We aren't intentionally breeding just had an oops litter and was supervised lol

Back