Hiccups, sneezes, or coughs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK Bunnies

Reaction score
Well we just gave the buns some radish greens and of course they ate them. But after they finnished their treats Kali and Teacup flopped down next to each other and Kali started bouncing like she was sneezing or coughing, but she wasn't making any noise. I've seen her do this before, and I wanted to know WHAT is she doing? She looked a lot like Bud when he was sneezing and it worries me. Is she okay? Can rabbits get hiccups? Does Kali have hiccups? Or is she sick?

-TK :?

Hmm we just had a thread on this somewhere and I believe the consensus was that yes, they can hiccup.

Is she having any trouble breathing or anything? Is her nose clear?

Her nose is clean, but when she's grooming herselfshe honks and has kind of labored breathing and when you pet her while she's eatting she starts to grunt and honk, she just grunts and snorts while eatting.

The sounds you are hearing are probably just sounds of enjoyment, saying she likes what she is eating. If her nose is clean/dry and you aren't hearing a sound, then she isn't sneezing. And as far as her breathing sounding labored when she is grooming, that is most likely just effort. If you had to fold yourself in half and clean you whole body with your tongue and paws, it would make your breathing labored too. :p

gentle giants wrote:
The sounds you are hearing are probably just sounds of enjoyment, saying she likes what she is eating. If her nose is clean/dry and you aren't hearing a sound, then she isn't sneezing. And as far as her breathing sounding labored when she is grooming, that is most likely just effort. If you had to fold yourself in half and clean you whole body with your tongue and paws, it would make your breathing labored too. :p

True :D

I guess I'm just worring because of Bud, I'd be devasted if Kali ended up like Bud. So are they just hiccups then?

TK Bunnies wrote:
gentle giants wrote:

I guess I'm just worring because of Bud, I'd be devasted if Kali ended up like Bud. So are they just hiccups then?
Most likely. I know, it's hard not to worry sometimes. :hug:

gentle giants wrote:
TK Bunnies wrote:
gentle giants wrote:

Most likely. I know, it's hard not to worry sometimes. :hug:

Thanks, I worry a lot.

So how do bunny's get ride of their hiccups? Do they have to drink from the opposite side ofa glass? :biggrin2:

I've seen a rabbitsneeze once. There was a little noise and its head shook.

It was actually rather cute but I felt sorry for it, particularly as this was a bunny in an enclosure at 'Pets at Home'.

Jo xx

Hi TK
Since Bud was from our shelter I do remember his sneezing at the shelter. He would have bouts of sneezing fits and then not sneeze again for ? amount of time. I had reported his sneezing to the kennel administrator but when we attempted to determine when and how much he was sneezing he didn't sneeze at all .
It was chalked up as allergies....

I learned a BIG lesson from Bud.

After TK adopted him he continued with the same behavior ; having occasional sneezing fits and then nothing.

later Bud developed a severe URI and died during treatment.

This is the way I feel about Kali..
Is there anything in her environment that is different than it has been previously ?..for ex. a change in her diet, a new kind of hay, different ventilation in the house etc.
If there isn't I would pay more attention to any changes in her behavior.
I would pay attention to anything different from routine if there is not a change in the environment or food
I would watch her carefully and folllow your gut feeling....if she really doesn't seem herself I would take her to a vet.

PM me and let me know where you take the rabbits .

Latest posts

Back