3 week old baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnies4life

Reaction score
Hi,

We had an oops litter of bunnies(thought we had two females) which gave us a mix of new zealand white/holland lop babies. the babies are 3 weeks old today. I noticed when feeding them today that one of the babies has a matted eye shut and red around the eye. the other 4 are all fine. I plan on getting the baby to the vet first thing monday morning is this normal or something i should be concerned with? Growing up my dad raised rabbits but when i called him he said he never had any trouble with the babies eyes matting shut. He thought maybe it caught a cold since we went through a really hot spell and then now its getting down to the lower 50s at night instead of the lower 70s. Any ideas of what i could do for the little one till monday I would greatly appreciate it.

It could be "nestbox eye", which is just a slight eye infection. For now, clean out the place where you're keeping them. If they're in a nest box, sometimes the momma starts using it as a litterbox, which can cause eye issues in the babies that are in there all the time.

You can also give an antibiotic eye ointment while you're waiting for the vet appt. At farm supply stores, you can get teramycin eye ointment, or you can get a triple antibiotic ointment at the human pharmacy store (neosporin). Make sure it's just plain old teramycin or neosporin in an ointment form, not a cream, and not containing pain meds as well. I would still take her to the vet to make sure that's what it is, but for now you can try that treatment.

hi,

the little one seemed fine today. took it to the vet just as a precaution. the vet said it could have been almost anything that irritated the eyebut the baby seemed healthy now. eye is all cleared up no redness at all around it. We had a nest box in with momma but she kept taking the babies out of the nest box so we just took the nest box out and left her nest of pulledfurrshe had made on dry pine shavings. She seemed happy with that and the babies were dry and clean.

Thanks for the response it was much appreciated :)

Latest posts

Back