Wax or mites? Help a new rabbit parent please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketRabbit

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post here and it seems necessary because I seem to obsess over every little thing wrong with my little bundle of trouble
(who currently has his head stuck inside an empty Dorito packet.. great)
So Rocket is a 6 month old mixed breed lop eared bunny, he lives indoors alone and hasn't been in contact wth any other buns since I brought him home in June!
Just yesterday I noticed that Rocky has been scratching one of his ears a bit more frequently than usual, and when I've gave it a check over there are patches of yellow?
Not layers of anything, just dicolouration it seems so far, so what ever it is I'm early to the party (hopefully!)
(Oh, he's managed to get out of the crisp packet, cool)
It seems a little bit dry and flaky and as the internet only shows you extreme cases of either mites or wax I'm kinda left wondering which is more likely?
I'm going to assume it's mites and that it's gonna have to be a vet visit, but just wondered if anyone had any words of wisdom or help on the matter?
Here's a little snapshot that I managed to get:

1ikfnk.jpg

Yep, definitely not normal. But it's an early stage so it should be easy to treat after a vet visit. Lops and lop mixes tend to have sensitive ears and develop problems more easily in this area (loppy ears are harder to clean than uppy ears, or so I'm told ^^) so it's good to keep an eye on them.

worth noting in case you didn't know they don't only catch mites from other rabbits. mites are super easy for them to catch.. just most rabbits groom mites out before they become a problem. they can catch mites from things as simple as their feeding hay!

Im gona go with mites as well on this you really cant see further down in the cannal in the pic but i bet its a hot mess down there.

Latest posts

Back