Bunny and Cats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animalsRbetter

Reaction score
So after having our new bunny Abe for a few weeks, we decided last week to start doing supervised visits, letting Abe explore the rest of the house with our three cats. We were shocked to find when our cats snuck into Abe's room, they didn't see him as prey, more like a curiosity, and definitely not a threat. The end result has been glorious! He's now part of the kitty pack!
The first picture was him today, napping with our sunbathing Freyja. Something tells me he's going to turn into a lazy bones living with my cats that do nothing but sleep all day!
The second picture is our Fuzzbucket. Abe loves our Fuzzbucket, I think it's because they're the same colors. Abe is just always confused by the long fluffy grey tail!
I'd love to know if anyone else has similar bunny-becoming-part-of-the-pack stories. I'm still just so surprised how well they get along!!!

View attachment 1489523789094.jpg

View attachment 1489523897044.jpg

When my Black first me the neighbours cat the cat went down to sneak on the prey, bunny just hopped to the cat and sniffed her, that was it. Cat never showed any interest in any bunnies again.

My Black Fury did the same with the dog, same result, although, the dog was more interested in the droppings anyway than in the rabbit following her...

Gina Schwarze2.jpg

I agree! I'm glad so many other people have bunny-cat friends!!! I was a little concerned because we'll be moving into a loft apartment in a couple months, and Abe may not be able to have a separate room from the cats....
I'm concerned about having a multi-level home for Abe. The stairs don't have barriers making the stairs fully enclosed stairs...If that makes sense. Also, the loft has a fenced barrier overlooking the living room area on the floor below, and the slats between the fence I believe Abe could get through very easily...Anyone with experience with multiple levels in their home that their bunnies can access...Advice would be greatly appreciated. I may also start a separate thread asking about it

I love seeing bunnies and cats being best friends. My french angora, and my little cat Jiji, they were the bestest friends ever. What's funny is their colour, and fluff looked the same, so I think my kitty thought my bunny was just a messed up looking cat. Jiji has some mental issues, and her bunny friend really calmed her down. Whenever I needed to take Jiji to the vet, I'd load her in a carrier with my angora, and he'd keep her calm and occupied so she wouldn't have a freak out. I think cats and bunnies can be natural friends if they are taught that one isn't prey.

Aww that's so precious! Two of our cats are so much better to take out of the house when they're together, they've grown up together, not more than three months apart.
Our Abe's been sick the past few days, so he hasn't been out with the cats, it's so funny but I think they miss him! I also think they're jealous since we've been spending more time in his room with him since we're trying to keep an extra close eye on his habits. I've tried to explain that bunny friend has been sick, but there's no explaining anything to a cat!

Ahm, I have a question-

How many of these cats are declawed? Does that matter at all?

I reckon declawing is common practice in the US, but considered absolutly unthinkable and cruel where I live, I mean, robbing those astonishing animals their primary tools and first line of defense, it's a disgrace. So much for cultural viewpoints, I don't care much either way since it's a symbiososis anyway.

Here, cats can be fearsome animals, but I've seen lots of videos where people were laughing at a cat pawing them, what should end with a heap of minced human meat is a joke, doesn't feel right to me, but well, people are different.

Last edited:
None of my cats are declawed- I hold a similar view that you do, although not everyone does I know this. We do trim their nails to keep cat battle wounds to a minimum and kneading on humans to be a pleasant experience instead of a pokey one; but that's pretty standard maintenance with any pet I've had.

Mine is not declawed either! It's legal in most states in the US, but the veterinary governing board frowns upon it. My cat and rabbit are snuggling as we speak! We definitely trim our cat's nails (and the rabbits), but that's for my safety, not the rabbits' (she loves me too much and jumps on my lap a lot but is VERY clumsy and digs her claws in to catch herself as she falls :p)

One thing that probably should be mentioned is that cats carry LOTS of Pasturella multocida in their mouths, so rabbits can cats should NOT share a water bowl, nor should the cat be allowed to groom the rabbits. P multocida is a very difficult disease to treat.

Latest posts

Back