normal behavior when two bunnies meet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergi

Reaction score
Right here..."pointing finger to pa, Minnesota, US
I am also wondering what bunnies do when theyfirst meet. Fergi has been chasing around baby bunny in the kitchen.She seems to be trying to clean the baby. Sometimes the baby will lether clean her and other times she keeps running away. Also Fergi seemsto be marking the baby with chin rubbings. Is this good happy bunnybehavior? Is my baby getting stressed out by this? She seems to be okwith it although she/he does puthis/her ears down while Fergiis "cleaning" her/him. Still not 100% sure of the sex of the baby.Leaning towards male though. Thanks for any input!

This morning I got out of bed and found Fergi in the living room layingon the floor. Seems we have a little escape artist on our hands. Shewas so happy to see me though it made all the droppings on my floorworthwhile! Gonna have to figure out a way to keep her in her cage atnight. Don't want her chewing any wires, although she has never cheweda wire before. She must have launched herself out of the cage using herramp up to the second floor. I built her cage out of a grid organizerkit from target. Didn't think I would need to put a whole top on it soonly half of it is covered. Gonna have to rethink that!:D

It would appear as she may be attempting to groomhim, normal rabbit behavior for rabbits whom are gettingalong. Ears down, while being groomed, is often standard,too. Chinning is a possessive action that is not necessarilynegative.

Do be careful about wiring, as they can get a shock, be burned, and/orelectrocuted, worst case scenario. "Danglies" are awfullytempting to bunnies. It seems in nature, when any rootsdangled into the borrow passageway, our European origin furry littlefriends, in their very fastidious manner, would quickly eliminatethem. Domestication has not eradicated thatbehavior. LOL

Radio Shack carries plasticSplit-Loom Tubing, item#278-1624A, which one slips over the wiring to serve as some form ofprotection. Rabbits can, and will chew through that as well,but usually the chewing will make enough noise for you to notice it andstop the action from continuing.

The tubing about $5.00 for a 5 foot length, expensive, butperhaps worth it in the long run. I tried to chintz on thecost and bought foam rubber water pipe insulation, thinking it wouldserve to protect the wires and function as an early warningsystem much less expensively than the plastic tubing. I neverthought that the rabbit would not only chew through theinsulation quietly, but also EAT it, and resultingin four digit dollar veterinarians' bills! Pennywise and dollar foolish on that one, I was. :(

Buck

Thanks for the reply Buck:)I willcertainly invest in some of that tubing! Just in case she is a "repeatoffender"! I am also glad to hear that the buns are getting along ok!Hope this continues. I bought the new bunny for Fergi and am hopefulthey will be fast friends.

Latest posts

Back