bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kekedaddy

Reaction score
this small lop ear bunny with brown spots was inthe neighborhood for over 6 weeks running loose and we decided itneeded a home and finally we got it and have it in abig dogcarrying case. we assume someone had it as a pet and let it go. we havewood shavings on the floor and timothy hay in the pen. we try to let itout in our enclosed yard for excersise. my question sometimes when wetry to pick her up, she makes a growl noise and snaps at us. is theresomething we can do to prevent this or since she was outside for awhile is this why she will not bond with the family? we need some helpwith this. this is our first time to have a bunny.

Hi!

Six weeks is enough time for a rabbit to "go" wild. I suggest takingher to a vet and having her checked out, tell them that she was runningaround the neighbor hood and that you want to make her a pet. You justwant to be sure that she is healthy.

Once she has a good bill of health you can start bonding with her.It will take some time! You can start by opening her cagedoor and patting her when she comes over to you. If you want to takeher out of her cage wear long sleeves, angry rabbits kick like crazy!!!Eventually, she will start to except you. It will take time, but youmust be patient as it sounds like sheconsiders herself awildrabbit now.

Good Luck!

Lissa

Yes, don't give up on her. We once had arabbit that had lived in a vacant lot in Philadelphia, PA. Wejokingly referred to him as our "junk yard rabbit". It tookhim six months before he would let us pick him up. Untilthen, we let him be in our own fenced in backyard.

After that, it was a long time before he relaxed enough and trusted usenough for him to lick us, or "give bunny kisses." That onlyoccurred after absent mindedly stroking/rubbing his ears for45 consecutive minutes, while holding him and having a conversationwith my spouse.

Once he broke down, and allowed himself to love us, he tried to givekisses whenever we held him. I could've been hurting him,like cutting his nails too close to the quick, and that wouldn't stophim from giving kisses, he was such a love.

Don't give up on her, yet. Give her some time andspace. Supposedly, lops were bred to be people oriented, moreso than some other breeds.

Buck

Latest posts

Back