Hi from me and my Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny_Mad

Reaction score
Hi eveyone, i got my first 2 Rabbits on the 8thof April 2004. Both Female, and both exactly 2 months. I nameed themStasky and Hutch.

As i have heard in most buuny pairs, you getone active Rabbitand one lazy one? Well Starsky was the active one. I say was becauseonly 5 1/2 months into her life she passed on because on a hemorage andanostethic from Spaying.

But i am so glad i still have Hutch, she was very shy before the op andwould run away when your had got near her. But now she is morefriendly, and she lets us stoke her all the time.

Now 2 weeks after the op i have a new 4 month old Male. He is kep in acage and let out for a runa around each day. I got him yesterday andtoday was his first time out. We have the Female rabbits hutch on ourBalcony, and i is very big so they get a good run.

Well i let my Male, Huggy (Huggy Bear), out ont the balcony and kept Hutchs' Hutch shut for 2 reasons.

1) Huggy hasn't been neutered and wouldn't care if Hutch had been Spayed or not.

2) I didn't know how Hutch would react to a new Bunny. (I expected her to take to him as she is so lazy, she couldn't care less)

Well afterlot of hiding under the rabbit hutch from Huggy hestarted to come out and play. He kept putting his scent on the outside.

Well he started looking up at the bars and i got Hutch to go to themand look at him, well, call this ironic, but as soon as she cameintothe main section Huggy got down out of view. This happened a fewtimes and i wondered if they would ever see eachother.

Well Huggy was put back in her cage and let out a couple of hourslater. This time they saw eachother through the bars. The squares arebig enouth for Hutch to put her nose through. S they ended upnose-to-nose, with no clawing or grunting.

Then it started to rain and the thuder and lightning was worrying Hutch, so i brought her in in her carrier.

I put the carrier next to Huggys cage and they started to look at eachother, and agin they were so happy.

I am not surprised, Hutch has been alone for 2 weeks, and Huggy was anunwanted Rabbit in the pet shop and was put in his own cage, so he hadbeen alone for about 1 month.

So i opened Hutches' carrier, and i have never seen her come out thatfast for anything, she kept puting her paws on the cage and looking forHuggy.

So Huggy will be neutered in about 2 - 3 weeks. And then left for a week and then introduced to Hutch.

The thing is, they are getting on so well i really want to get them to meet properly.

My only worry is that although Hutch has been spayed, Huggy may still mate with her.

Should i wait incase i ruin what seems the start of a great pertnership?

Welcome to the forum, Bunny_Mad,

I wouldn't rush it. You could also slowly introduce them insmall increments to get them used to each other a little at a time, butI'd keep a very close eye on them especially because as she'sjust been through alot with the spaying operation.

I have two rabbits and because of the circumstances I was dealing withwhen I got the second one, I kept them in their cages side-by-side forabout a month. They didn't box and weren't aggressive towardseach other at all either when in their cages or when I finally let themmeet nose-to-nose. They really go their own ways and ignoreeach other for the most part. One's a female, the other is amale. The male is fixed, the female is not because she's arescue and it's too late in her life to spay her.

I say, give it time and take it slow.If you reallywant to introduce them, do it 1/2 hour at a time and very carefullymonitored. The male could get rambunctious and you don't wantto push it too much especially since she could be still healing andhaving an operation. An operation, pain,andthen dealing with a new rabbit all within twoweeks could be stressful. I'd let him get used toyou and the new house first as well and take it slow.

In the scheme of things two moreweeks isn't goingtomake a big difference that they'll have to wait.You have to be careful not to rush the bonding process. It'sokay that they get used to each other's smellsandpersonalities through the wire for now.

That's just one person's thought on the matter. It worked forme. Others on this great forum have experience in this areaas well and may pipe in to tell you what worked for them.

:)

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back