What age to safely spay a lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sissy2170

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old lop and my vet says we canspay her between the ages of 4-6 months of age depending on her size atthe time. Do you all have an age preference or a size preference for abunny to be spayed? I want to make sure to do this safely as I havenever owned a bunny before and would never want any harm to come toher. My vet says she is experienced with rabbits and has spayed andneutered many of them, but I just like to double check facts. I do notknow anyone that owns bunnies personally so I don't really have anyoneto ask. I know someone who had prairie dogs and this vet is the onethat spayed and neutered them and she did a very good job with that sothat is why I called her first. Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Danielle & Lily

I know that my vet also waits until between 4and 6 months of age to spay/neuter. If your vet says she is experiencedwith bunnies, your girl should be fine. The procedure is quite safe,and the small amount of risk is very small when you think of it interms of the much GREATER risk of the diseases that can develop laterin life if you don't spay.

I know I was very nervous before Oswald was neutered, but it reallyhelped me to think about how I was doing what was best for him. Hissurgery turned out perfectly.

Just remember, you're doing what is best and healthiest for your bunny!

-Amy

Mocha was spayed at 4.5 months. Shewas really tiny- just under two pounds- but she did okay. Iknow vets usually wait for cats to be 2 lbs but not all rabbits getthat big.

If your vet is rabbit savvy I'd trust her judgement. It sounds good to me so far.

And yes, it's really scary to have a pet go in for surgery but it's definately for the best.

I think the reason the vets like to wait till 4-6 months is to see the reproductive organs better.

I was talking with one of my rescue co-ordinators and she was tellingme how some babies went in too young, and the vet couldn't find theorgans to remove, so he said they must already be fixed! Butshe knew that wasn't the case as they had been born in the rescue...

So generally you want to wait untill they start to enter puberty andtheir sexual organs start to mature, so the vet can find them easilyand have the procedure less invasive.

Generally for smaller buns you can get them spayed earlier (4 months)as they enter puberty earlier, and big buns have to wait a little bit.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back