My boss's dog gave me an easter present

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xXAshleyXx

Reaction score
3 days before easter, I was out working on a horsefarm, when all of a sudden I heard this screeching noise. Iturned around, and here my boss's dog was carrying a little bunny, eyesnot even open. He dropped it at my feet.First thing I did was wrap it up in a coat. It sounds cruel,but I kept him in my dryer after trying to call the nature center andthey were never open. Every hour I would take him out, turnon the dryer just enough so it was warm in there, and I would put himback in. I basically force fed him with a bottle and formulaat first. But the day before easter, he opened his littleeyes. He's doing great now, he loves sleeping in the arm partof my sweatshirt. He hops around, and usually hops into myhand if I put it in front of him. He's eating Haysentialsrabbit food, and drinking water. But I have aquestion. Last night I was laying on my bed, and he was up onmy shoulder. I gave him a little baby carrot *he has had thembefore*but he didn't want it. He kept running backand forth from the carrot to my mouth, sniffing both and basicallyflipping out. Finally I held one end of the carrot with myteeth, and he started chowing down on the other end of it.Any ideas why he wanted me to hold the carrot with my mouth?lol needless to say, I can't give him up.I know most wild rabbits don't survive because of stress. Butthis little guy is doing great. Very strong andactive. Also VERY hungry. lol Anyway, Ijust thought I would share my story, and ask that question.Thanks.

I guess I should also say that I have owned a rabbit before. So I'm not totally new to this. lol

Welcome Aboard!

I love the story. I certainly hope the little one lives a long andhealthy life with you. Occasionally people are able to keep a wildrabbit alive, but pnemonia, injury, and death is common in trying tofeed & cage a wild rabbit. Post a picture when/if you're able.

The baby rabbit needs a lot of protein which is found in KMR. (KittenMilk substitute) At 2 weeks, they start eating a small bit of greensand drink water from a bowl around 15-18 days. Overfeeding will killthe rabbit, so dosages have to be correct. I'd have some Timothy Hay tooffer the rabbit at all times.

In some States, it's illegal to keep a wild animal. It's really best tocall a wildlife rehabilitator because taking care of a wild rabbit isvery difficult. One must really be precise in dosages of food, etc.,and even then, it's difficult.

Chances are if you were to have found where the baby's nest was, themother would've taken it back if placed back in the nest. Although itappears the mother is never around the babies, rabbits don't sit neartheir nests because it would give their young away to predators.

Sounds like the little one just was playing with you to get the carrotor just found it easiest to steal from that angle. If you are going tokeep her and not call a rehabilitator, weaning usually happens for arabbit between 4-5 weeks (that is if you do use the KMR and go to agood rabbit pellet). It can be a little stressful from what I'm told.You'll have to really educate yourself. Sounds like you've got the lovefor the little one to do that.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

:)

Latest posts

Back