Baby Bunny Help!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane26154

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just found a baby brown bunny with one white spot on his head. I can hold him in the palm of my hand and he is still smaller than my hand. I was at the ball park when a cat got ahold of it's mommy:bigtears:.... It has a minor scratch on his neck but nothing to worry about to much.. anyways. He is 5 times smaller than kiko and I have no idea on what to do with the baby baby bunny.. He is so small and afraid. Someone please help me on keeping this baby alive.... Need fast help.. thanx guys.

Keep the bunny in a quiet place until you can get him to a wildlife rehabber. In most states, it is illegal to keep a wild game animal in your possession without a permit.

Pam

Heres a link I found on the house rabbit society's web site.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

I guess it doesnt really offer much help at this time of night. Its kind of confusing bc at one part itsays not to feed the baby, and then there are instructions on how to feed it with goats milk. Basically, the main point is toget it to a professional asap. It says to try and not handle the baby at all. Put it in a dark enclosed area and get it to a professional in the morning.

Heres the link on how to find a wildlife rehabilitator.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Good luck to you! Im praying for the little one.

-Haley

I hope you are reading this in time.

Just keep the baby in a cardboard box with the lid on. Put some hay and tissue in for a "nest". It would also be a good idea to keep the box on top of a heating pad set on "low". It isnt going to die of hunger overnight.

When I had a wild bun to raise (no wildlife people wanted her :( ) I kept her like that and fed her cat replacement formula. She grew big, opened her eyes and learned to eat grass.

Best of luck getting a professional to get her asap.

This bunny is about the size or a lil bigger than your fist. It has its eyes open. He is aware of his surroundings.. is he big enough for grass or am i going to have to get a dropper and try to get his mouth open to get some milk or somethign down there so he doesn't starve. I just need to know how to get him to eat..

Shane26154 wrote:
This bunny is about the size or a lil bigger than your fist. It has its eyes open. He is aware of his surroundings.. is he big enough for grass or am i going to have to get a dropper and try to get his mouth open to get some milk or somethign down there so he doesn't starve. I just need to know how to get him to eat..

Once their eyes are open, they begin to leave the nest and nibble on grasses. You can try a little kitten milk replacer, but be very careful that the bunny doesn't aspirate the liquid. Don't use cow's milk.

Pam

Yeah his eyes are opened I havn't found anyone other than the pound to take the bunny. Thanx for all the help and ill post some more when i need more help thanx

Oh I wish I could take him,I've cared for babie bunns before.

May I suggest something....Get slightly warm towel and putting in in a nestbox if you have one with some hay.

Im taking an Animal Care programin college right now we just had a guest speaker from a wildlife rehab centre come in a do a great presentation the other day and from what she said....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put that bunny back where you found it!!!!! It may seem like the bunny has no mother but mother rabbits leave their young alone in the nests for days at a time, and only come back for a few minutes to feed them every couple days or so. Baby bunnies have no scent and the mother rabbits scent is very strong, so the mother knows not to go near to the babies very much since predators will then be able to smell them and the babies cant protect themselves. So please!!! It may look like the bun has no mother but it does!

You need to golook for the nest, which is usually just long grass and very well hidden and hard to tell it actually is a nest. Then put the bunny back with the others and to make sure the mother is coming back, take 2 pieces of string and lay them in an X shape over top of the nest. Then keep checking for the X to be messed up. The mother will come back to the nest in a few days and feed the babies,but then cover the nest back up and you will not be able to tell that shes been there unless you use the string.

If you can not find a nest, i would make a makeshift one for the baby and leave it there with some food. Use lots of long grass and plants and make it well hidden. Make sure to cover the bunny well so it cant really escape or be seen by predators. Use the string method as well.

If all else fails, or if the baby seems really really sick or unjured, take it to a wildlife rehab centre.

You say a cat got the mother? Did she die? You should check for a nest to see if there are any more babies if she did die and even if she did, put the baby back in the nest for a few days, with some food though, and use the string method. Sometimes other mother rabbits will foster the bunnies. But if no one has returned to the nest, then trytake the babies to the wildlife rehab centre. If you cant do that. Try to keep the baby in a box with some grass or hay with some water in a shallow dishand LIMIT your contact with it. Make sure its not noisy where its staying. In a while you should be able to let it back into the wild. It should be old enough to befine on its own.

Just try to keep the rabbit warm. Maybe give it some grass? Just tear some off your lawn if it's not treated maybe?

I've seen little buns in the industrial area that are very small but are out on their own and eating gras.s They are probablylarger than a fist, but still look very young.

Latest posts

Back