Has anyone heard of bunny hopping/show jumping?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
I have been searching the interent and there are such things as rabbit showing jumping chapionships!

i have taught my bunny Daisy to jump about knee high and about a metrewide! i think this is quite far for an average pet rabbit.

what do you think about it?

Sunny's vet (a *very* proud bunny-mommy)mentioned this to me. Apparently (I haven't read about it yet formyself) the highest is something like 4 ft? Without a running start. Ialso hear that the buns love the sense of "purpose".

I really haven't formed an opinion on it yet. I'd have to read more about it.

well what i did was i taught her to walk on aharness and lead when she was younbg although still to this days sheisnt very good on it! i then started getting her and another fewbunnies to jump over a line of bricks, then piled them up slightlyhiger each time they did it well.if you put the jump in the way ofsomehwere you konw they want to go then they will easily do it. afterthe summer last year my dad wanted all the bricks piled away so theywere out of the question. by this time i hadthem jumping over5 bricks but they would all jump up onto the bricks then jump down theother side!

so i decided to put some wooden poles on the floor for themtohopover, i started to move the poles into theholes in my fence wehre the rabbits are kept. and put bricks or smallboxes on the other to make jumps.

the jumps just kept getting slightlyhigher orwidereach time they went round but if they didnt clear itthen they would do the same height again and again until they did.

if you are going to try and do this yourself at home remmber-

• To start small
  • only get your rabbit to do a max of 10 jumps then let them rest (great time to higher the jumps)
  • always leave a session on a positve note
  • only work them for about 10 mins at a time at first then once theyare going well and they are fit enough the time can be increased
  • each time you start a new training session start with walking aroundon a lead then somthing they are very good at eg a small not to widejump!
Have fun with your bunnies!

wow im still on here and its my b day but as ppl keep leavin messages i have to keep replyin!!

anywayz getting your rabbits to jumps and agility work is a great wayto spendtime with your bunnies as wellto train themand teach them new things.

i am making a speacially devoted website to rabbits. once it is quitefull i will post the adress here so you can all check it out! there isgoing to be a page all about rabbit jumping and how to teach yourrabbits to do it!

tried jumping today with peapoo...she seemed to enjoy it:)

didnt go very high this time but might make it a little higher next time...take it slow, raise it a little at a time..

peapoobunny.jpg

peapoobunny2.jpg

sry the pics are bad:)

I am definately doing this!!! Thanks guys for the information. My husband will think that I am crazy, but oh well.

its not only good fun for us but the bunnies canhav fun, learn somthing, be entertained, get fitter and it gets usoutside with our bunnys in the sunshine!!!

hope u enjoy it.

i will take some pics of my bunnys doin it later so you can see my bunnies in action!

Latest posts

Back