Litter Box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wittlewabbit

Reaction score
My Little Bugz is 6 weeks old and hes litter box trained for pee but he still poops everywhere... any tips on how to get him to use his litter box !

IMG_3400.jpg

Pick the poos up and place them in the litter box. Also, if you haven't already place some hay in the corner of his litter box. Or you can hang a hay rack above his litter box. Buns tend to go potty while eating so place his hay/food so that he will be sitting in the litter box to eat.

Most rabbits are considered litter trained when they pee only in the litter box. They poo so much that usually you will always have some outside the litter box. Also they do that to mark their territory. It may calm down some over time. When I first got my bun there was poo everywhere. Now some days there are none outside the litter box, some days there are none.

He is adorable!

Also, from the picture it doesn't look like you have bunny proofed yet. Is that a wire I see? If so buns love to chew wires which isn't good for your electronics, lamps, etc and it isn't good for the bun. They also can be electrocuted. It is amazing just how fast a bunny can chew through something.

Thank you :) and yea i put hay in the corner of it ill have to put his hay over the litter box he already only pees in his litter box so thats good ! yea i dont really mind lol my mom just cam over and was complaining lol

It may be a while before the poop ends up in the litter box. You have a few things going against you at this point. He's a baby rabbit, he's in a new home and will be marking his territory for a while, and he's not neutered yet. He may or may not get better at it as he gets older and gets used to being in a new place. But it usually takes getting them neutered when old enough, to really get them to poop in the litter box too. It's pretty good that he's already peeing where he is supposed to though. That can often be a hard thing for a baby to figure out.

yea he does awesome with peeing in his box and when hes out in the living room (supervised of course) i bring his box out to what age can i get him neutered ? they mark by pooping? well i know his fav place then lol!

Oh, he´s so sweet. I can only second all that´s been said. As long as they always pee in the box, you´re doing well, stray poops will always happen but he seems to be doing OK so far. Hope to see more of him on here and see him as he grows.

haha thank you yea hes super sweet !! so cuddly to ! my son loves him and he should gett pretty big i saw his mom and dad and they were HUGE lol

Very cute. We consider them trained if they urinate in a pan/box. The poop will probably be all over and forever. We had one out of 37 that only used her pan for every thing and never left a poop outside. Some use their pans about 60% and some quite a bit less. Why we own a shop vac.

lol yea i didnt mind the lil poops i mean there hard like pellets not like its dog sized or anything my mom just had a cow i have a 3 year old and she happen to come over yesterday because he was sick and i brought bunny out and well it pood lol as long as hes not peing on my carpet I'm good ! does anyone know what age u neuter ?

It's usually around 4-6 months old. Just depends on the vet. You could call around. When the time comes, you want to make sure to find a vet that is very experienced with rabbits. You can also try spay/neuter clinics, the Humane Society, or rabbit rescues. Also, I noticed you are in Virginia. If you are anywhere near Hampton, audrinasmommy88 had really good things to say about her vet.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/finding-vet-13366/
http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

lol Yup and actually i am in the Hampton roads area as well so ill have to get in touch with her to find a vet And PaGal he is a New Zealand/Holland Lop Mix :)

Back