gettig a rabbit need info

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
Im planning on getting a flemish giant and angora hybrid male relatively soon. I have a small room adjacent to mine I was thinking of bunny proofing. The only thing I will need to leave are my insects to feed my bearded dragon. They do have heat bulbs over them. I was wondering what I should put over the carpet in this room and also what I should use to box of the insect tubs? I have a stand for a fish tank in there I was gonna use to entertain the rabbit but its painted and I dont know what kind of wood its made of. I do plan on neutering this bunny but at what age should I neuter it and how much will it cost? Also any other info will be appreciated. Ive had guinea pigs in the past are rabbits a lot like them?

I suggest you begin by going to the home page of this forum and look for the Library Thread: Rabbits 101.

You can peruse the topics and see what catches your eye.

To protect your carpet until bunny is litter trained, some have used tarps.

You'll want to find a rabbit savvy vet even before you get your rabbit. Be careful, because most vets will "say" they care for rabbits, but they don't really know them well. You can ask a local rabbit rescue for vet references. Once you find one, you can call and ask for the price of a neuter. Prices can vary greatly. Usually once the testicles descend, they can be neutered, but your vet will let you know what he recommends for a Flemish.

[FONT=&quot]http://myhouserabbit.com

has some good info too.
[/FONT]

I say get 2 as they need the company of another bunnies, ideally get a brother and sister pair and get the boy neutered at 5 months in the uk it costs between £50-£70. I would advise not putting in painted wood as they will chew it and may become ill. instead use cardboard boxes toilet, roll tubes small balls and other items as toys. Rabbits shouldn't eat large amounts of fruit or vegetables until at least 4/5 months as it can cause upset tummies, feed them lots of hay instead. You could you use lino on the floor of your room and it inst as crumbly and noisy as tarpaulin. And no rabbits are not really like guinea pigs they are more playful, they chew more and in my pinion make better, more social pets.
Good luck with your new pet :thumbup

I'm sorry, but I heartily disagree with Emmie. Getting an unbonded pair of intact rabbits (even if they are brother & sister) is not the best idea. There is absolutely no guarantee that the 2 will remain bonded once their hormones kick in. They will need to be kept separate well before they are old enough to fix to be sure no pregnancy occurs.
Then BOTH will need to be fixed - for bonding potential and for the girl's health. After surgeries, and healing time, then and only then can they be re-introduced in order to attempt a bond. Whether or not the bond will be successful is hit or miss. But if the bond does not take, then you will be stuck housing the 2 rabbits separately, separately exercising them daily, etc, etc.
But, it doesn't sound like you (OP) were intending to get 2 rabbits to start out with anyway. Just continue with your research and ask away if you have further questions.
If you do decide, down the road, to get a 2nd bunny after your Flemmy is neutered, then you can go through a rescue and find a spayed female through "bunny dates." It's really up to the rabbits to choose a compatible bondmate and this method works well since rescues can help you through the process (and switch out potential bondmates if needed).

Last edited:
As far as the heat bulb you need to make sure the bun can not chew the wire and also make sure there is no way the bun can pull the heat lamp over. What kind of bugs? I just ask because I used to have two bearded dragons and never used a heat lamp except for the dragons.

Bunnies are quite different then guinea pigs. Rabbits can be litter trained. I have never heard of a litter trained guinea pig. Rabbits should be fed pellets and hay. Once they are six months old you can slowly introduce some veggies. Some are better for them than other. Fruits and some veggies are better off being given only in small amounts, occasionally as treats.

I have a male flemmie. Welcome to the forum. Spend time looking around and reading. You can find just about anything you could possibly want to know here.

As far as the stand, that depends on the bun. Thumper has a stand in his room and he basically ignores it yet he has chewed on the door trim. With anything that could be a potential harm, keep an eye on the bun to see what he does and remove if necessary or otherwise fix the issue at hand.

As far as the heat bulb you need to make sure the bun can not chew the wire and also make sure there is no way the bun can pull the heat lamp over. What kind of bugs? I just ask because I used to have two bearded dragons and never used a heat lamp except for the dragons.

Bunnies are quite different then guinea pigs. Rabbits can be litter trained. I have never heard of a litter trained guinea pig. Rabbits should be fed pellets and hay. Once they are six months old you can slowly introduce some veggies. Some are better for them than other. Fruits and some veggies are better off being given only in small amounts, occasionally as treats.

I have a male flemmie. Welcome to the forum. Spend time looking around and reading. You can find just about anything you could possibly want to know here.

I have dubia roaches. I will be buying those wire covers once I know where to find them.

You can use the thick rubber tubing sold for fish tanks to protect your wires. You can also use split poly loom tubing. They sell it at auto parts stores.

O.K. I just kept crickets. I would order 1000 at a time. I would get other insects occasionally as a treat. I did think about the roaches. The crickets chirping drove me nuts at times.

Cord covers can be found at any home improvement store. It is sold by the foot. The following site has good bunny-proofing tips:
http://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/CategoryID/8/PID/940/Default.aspx

The site above show those black cord covers. I like to use the clear tubing. However you'll want to check occasionally for signs of chewing on the covers. They are a first defense against cord chewing.

Here's how I cover/hide cords.

protecting cords collage.jpg

Ok also does this look like a good ammount of vegies.?
Leafy vegetables feed everyday;
Romaine lettuce
Turnip greens
Leafy vegetables every other day;
Spinach
Mustard greens
Non leafy vegetables every other day;
Carrots
Celery
Bell peppers

Your list of veggies is fine. However, do not include carrots with your list of veggies. Carrots for bunnies fall under "treats" like fruit.

Remember, when you get your bunny, you won't be able to just give him all those veggies at once. If he's a baby, he won't be getting any at all. Most suggest that one waits til 3 months to 6 months of age before introducing greens. For a Flemish, it may be longer than 3 months since their juvenile stage is longer. It never hurts to wait a bit longer.

When greens are introduced, it needs to be done slowly and one type at a time. You'll need to see how your bunny does with each type. Gradually you will build up to a wide variety of greens. Then you can add in the occasional treat like fruits or carrot piece (2 TBSP per day).

Here is a video on veggies for rabbits:
[FONT=&quot]http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Food/Food_main.htm[/FONT]

How slowly?
Oh a little update;
I put down the tarp today and put up one of the two shelves. Tomorrow I will be going to look at the angora and flemish giant hybrids tomorrowm at 2.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back