Bored Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callaway

Reaction score
I was wondering what type of toys would be good for my male holland lop. He has a wicker ball with noise maker things inside as well as a toss and throw carrot. He has a stuffed bunny also. He doesnt touch any of these things! He does like to knock things over such as water bottles and paper towel tubes. We had given him those apple tree chew sticks, never touched them. He sleeps alot. Is there anything I can give him that would keep him a little bit more active. He does have a cat crinkle tunnel that he enjoys running through. I recently bought one of the connecting cubes and attached it to the tunnel... however, I do not think he enjoys the cube as he doesnt go in it unless coerced with a treat and now doesnt go in his tunnel. He likes to try to push it and head butt it though. Callaway isnt destructive so I dont know if he is bored or not but I'd like to have him be a little bit more active. Any ideas? I know you cant force a rabbit to do something but he sleeps and lays around way too much!

callaway4.jpg

He is pretty much out all day when we are home. Gets put in his cage when we are gone for more than an hour and over night.

Some buns are just naturally more active than others and buns tend to be more active in the morning and evening. I built Thumper a town out of cardboard boxes that I cut holes out of for doors. I also made some tunnels out of pieces of cardboard to connect some. Thumper loves his town. He also plays chase with us. He does chew a lot but never really chews much on paper towels tubes unless I stuff them with hay but then it's the hay he is eating.

Okay, when he is out how much of the time does he sleep? Does he run around more of the time? or does he sleep most of the time?

BTW, He is an adorable bunny. :bunnyheart

slinkies and hard plastic baby keys are good interactive toys. old phone books and cardboard boxes/mazes/houses/castles are *wonderful* "destruction" toys. a dig box (using dirt or shredded paper with no color inks) is great if he doesn't turn it into a toilet. hay and possibly some tiny fruit bits as treats stuffed into paper towel or toilet paper rolls makes a good foraging toy.

He pretty much comes out of his cage, eats his food, runs to a heater vent, lays down, and stays there for pretty much the entire day only getting up to go to the bathroom. He does tend to "beg" for attention when both of us are home and sitting on the couch but during the day and I try to play or pet him, he just hops away and finds another area to lay down in. Meatloafs (Im sure you know what I mean: all legs under body.. looks like a meatloaf) and sleeps or flops on side and sleeps. Just likes to sleep.

Im going to try some of the ideas posted and see if he responds to it. I might just have to suck it up and let him sleep!

callaway5.jpg

Putting a harness and walking him (well you don't really walk him, he walks you) outdoors will also help him get more active. This is a picture of my bunny on a leash he is walking me through the snow.
phpfsu5nupm-6699.jpg

This is the best kind of harness. Do NOT get a figure eight style harness.

You're bunny looks small so you will have to get a small harness. You can go on Ebay and find a kitten harness. I got the harness in the picture above on Ebay. It was listed as a cat harness and its size is adjustable. Here is a good cheap one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pet-Cat-Adjustable-Nylon-Lead-Leash-Collar-Harness-Kitten-Belt-Safety-Rope-/180948163509?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2159dbb5

Last edited:
My bunnies probably sleep about 18 hours a day. Most are "seniors" (older than 5) but none have been too crazy about toys. I think most bunnies use toys to get out frustration at being caged, and mine aren't caged, hence no interest in toys. Most of the time my bunnies are awake, they're eating hay or grooming themselves or each other.

or just go to walmart and pick up an extra small adjustable harness, that's what I did :p

My bunnies probably sleep about 18 hours a day. Most are "seniors" (older than 5) but none have been too crazy about toys. I think most bunnies use toys to get out frustration at being caged, and mine aren't caged, hence no interest in toys. Most of the time my bunnies are awake, they're eating hay or grooming themselves or each other.

mine aren't really caged... I mean, they are locked in their pen 24/7 unless we go outside, but they've got 120+ square feet of run space plus a three story condo. they still like toys and they LOVE destroying things.

He pretty much comes out of his cage, eats his food, runs to a heater vent, lays down, and stays there for pretty much the entire day only getting up to go to the bathroom. He does tend to "beg" for attention when both of us are home and sitting on the couch but during the day and I try to play or pet him, he just hops away and finds another area to lay down in. Meatloafs (Im sure you know what I mean: all legs under body.. looks like a meatloaf) and sleeps or flops on side and sleeps. Just likes to sleep.

Im going to try some of the ideas posted and see if he responds to it. I might just have to suck it up and let him sleep!

Describes my 5 month old Holland Lop male exactly. LOL In fact I have pictures of him somewhere sleeping on the vent which is to the right of where he is in this picture.

65182629-8bd6-4a1e-8d55-8594acab5d65.jpg

Latest posts

Back