pine shavings question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaterra214

Bellaterra214
Reaction score
my female netherland (anya) loves dig boxes, but only when it has pine shavings. my carpet now has areas bare where the carpet is missing....sigh

i know pine shavings can damage their livers, but if its only in the dig box would it be very harmful towards her? she is free roam of the apartment. any suggestions would be great. i've tried phone books, toys galor, etc.....and nothing entertains her more than a box full of pine with hidden pockets of hay.

thanks
malinda

I didn't realize pine shavings actually came in a kiln-dried version... but if you can find them like that, yeah, kiln-drying removes the harmful phenols. aspen shavings would be a safer alternative, though, and would have the same texture as and a similar smell to pine shavings - have you tried those for your bunny's dig box?

WalMart has PetsPick which is kiln dried pine and we have been using it for more than 6 years with no adverse effects. For a dig box we have a large pan inside the two havles of an apple box with holes cut in both ends for a thru way and fill it with hand shredded newspaper. We also have a Gigantic pan that takes five newspapers to fill when shredded and they all love it too. Coal, our Mini Rex used to disappear in there and all you could see was the paper moving around and then she'd pop up, or you could just see her ears moving around like a shark's fin cutting thru the water. It was hilarious.

I just looked and mine are kiln-dried. was worried about her health. i'll keep an eye on her to make sure shes not eating it.

thanks for the aspen recommendation. i will have to pick up a small bag and see which she prefers.

she digs and digs until the only thing you see little tail and her bottom poking out. its almost too cute to watch.

:bunnydance:

where on the package are you guys finding the info about it being kiln-dried? I'm pretty lazy, but I might be curious enough to look into it if I know where to look, hehe.

Latest posts

Back