My Lost Again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right I feel like to see an atomic explosion , loosing 2 bunnies in 1 year is too much to handle and now there is nothing for me out there, online pet finders and Craig's list is no help their nothing but a joke, besides I don't have money to waste my time online chances and cat and dog shelters.
What I need something positive that has it ,

I'm sorry for you, but isn't it the bunny who had a litter about two weeks ago? That's probably what killed her. Don't buy an animal from a petshop again. The animals there are generally of poor quality and kept in bad conditions (proof is that they were mixing females and males where you bought yours). I'm not even talking about the horrifying conditions in which those animals are produced.
If you want another rabbit, find a serious breeder (aka someone who doesn't have hundred of rabbits, will show you the accommodations and sell you a correctly weaned not pregnant rabbit) or adopt one from a shelter.

Sorry for your loss.

I agree with Aki though, her death may have been due to issues with pregnancy and nursing.

Petfinder.com and petango.com, to my knowledge, only list animals from rescues or shelters.

Here's my 2 cents on background:

Petshops and backyard breeders can be a "mixed bag" as these rabbits are generally not bred for health and temperament. Therefore the chances of such a rabbit living as long as one that is bred for health is less. But that doesn't necessarily mean they won't.

To me, a good breeder will breed to improve the breed(s) he or she breeds, in overall breed standard, and health and temperament. He or she should be willing to help you in any way he or she can, including possibly taking back a rabbit if needed. That breeder should welcome any information about hereditary issues that come up in any of his or her rabbits, and take appropriate action to help reduce or eliminate that issue in the future. These rabbits will generally cost more, but are less likely to have health issues in the future.

Regarding adopting an older bun ... think of it this way ... you've given the bunny a chance to live a good life where it may or may not get otherwise. I "took in" an angora rabbit recently I was told was 4 - 5 years old and has probably not had the best of care. He has probably lived on wire his entire life, has sparse hair on his underside, legs, and even on top of his neck (skin looks fine, though), wasn't litter box trained, and I'm not sure if he had much out of cage time to run around. He has a bit of trouble getting in and out of the litter box. He just sits there on the floor when I've tried to give him some time out of the cage. He also seems uncomfortable when he tries to lay on his side. I suspect he's an older bun. He has a vet appointment in about a week to be checked over. I had planned to try to rehome him, but he is such a sweet rabbit I may end up keeping him.

Rabbits life is 4 or 5 years
You get a senior rabbit it be a short enjoyment and other death

Rabbits life is 4 or 5 years
You get a senior rabbit it be a short enjoyment and other death

Actually, rabbits usually live 8 to 10 years. (a few have been known to live till 12)

it's not really the breeder's fault. We gave you advice to care for your rabbit, but you clearly ignored it.

There is no shelters here, my heart is sad.

You said you are in the phoenix area. There are at least two rabbit rescues here. One I have adopted from on several occasions.

Here are their links:
http://bhrabbitrescue.org/
http://www.rascallyrabbitrescue.org/

Brambley Hedge is the one I have adopted from. They always have plenty of rabbits. Currently they have 38 females, 16 males and then an additional 27 pairs of rabbits.

However, before adopting, it would be a good idea to brush up on bunny care. Take a look at the larger cages that people here on RO use. You could get an exercise pen to put around your current cage to make the area larger (see photo for example). Learn about using a litter box and avoid loose bedding (especially wood shavings). The rabbits at Brambley Hedge are usually litter trained so that will simplify things. They are also already fixed so that will save you lots of money as well.

sams x pen.jpg

Reactions: Aki
Exactly. I agree with everything that was said by other members.
I also have an inkling your previous rabbit didn't die of 'old age', especially if you think a rabbit doesn't live past 4 or 5 years. My Aki will be 8 soon and she's just as active and happy that she was 5 years ago. You'd never know she isn't a young rabbit anymore watching her.

Rabbits are the animals who gained the most in terms of life expectancy during that past fifteen years (that includes humans ^^). Of course, accidents or bad luck happen, but most of the vets agree today that a rabbit can live 8-10 years in good conditions if you care for them correctly. When you think about it, it's pretty amazing because indeed, rabbits' life expectancy almost doubled in the span of 20 short years.

I have to add that rabbits in shelters/ rescues aren't all 'old'. There are babies and very young rabbits as well, considering that a lot of people dump pregnant rabbits or 'surprise litters' coming from petshop bunnies. But I agree with Blue Eyes that you should use your time without bunny to do some serious researches about rabbit care before attempting to get another one.
I suggest the House society website:
http://rabbit.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back