All black otters in accidental breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scalisti

Reaction score
Hi,

My light gray Flemish giant doe accidentally had a litter with my tort Lionhead buck. The deed must have happened when I was cleaning cages. The male Lionhead has some black otter in his pedigree, even though he's a tort. The female Flemish had no black otter in her pedigree; in fact it's not a color variation recognized for her breed. But all 10 of the babies my male Lionhead sired with my Flemish doe turned out black otter. Aside from this being an accidental breeding, why would all the babies turn out black otter?

Here's pictures of the parents.

RixelUrsabelle.jpg

Ursabelle.jpg

Rixel1.jpg

Do you have photos of the babies? Chestnut agouti babies are born with otter markings but it's just band development as they grow. After about 3-4 days of age you can see their true colors.

I had bred two Britannia petites one a REW and the other a chestnut agouti. All the babies were born and I thought they were black otter until their color started to develop into chestnut agouti.

Here are the babies newly born (6/6). I'll take more pictures of them tomorrow when they're a week old. They seem to be developing some agouti hairs on their heads. I can't wait to see how cute they'll get when they fluff out.

20160606_075208.jpg

Here are the babies at one week old. Sorry it's so grainy. I'll try to take a better picture later. One of them died, so there are 9 left.

RixUrsBabies1week.jpg

I plan on posting these every week. Here are the baby bunnies at 2 weeks old.

Latest posts

Back