Starving Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypoo

Reaction score
I recently started fostering a 1 year old gigantic Californian bun named Chipotle, and though he has a face only a mother (aka me) could love, his personality more than makes up for it. He's been loads of fun.

There is one thing that concerns me though. He acts hungry ALL THE TIME. Not just excited at mealtimes or when he sees me head to the food closet, but he bangs against the side of his enclosure and topples his food bowl over and licks at it even when it's empty, and he does this constantly. I give him more than the adoption center recommended (they told me 1/8 cup twice a day, I give around 1/4 cup twice a day). He gets unlimited hay which I refresh as often as I can (even when there is tons of hay already there from before) and 1.5-2 cups veggies at night. I worry that maybe he is picky about having only the freshest hay and isn't eating enough of the stuff that's been around for a few hours.

How can I tell if he's starving or just manipulating me? I don't want him to get fat, but I don't want to keep him hungry either! His poops look good and full of hay, and he drinks quite a bit as well.

There are a few weight guides online. One is here: http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/images/rabbitweightbodyscore.png

Many rabbits act starving for their food, do you know how much your bunny weighs? 1/2 cup of pellets daily is probably enough, especially if he's a good hay eater and with those veggies. He's probably just playing you for more. If he's a rescue, perhaps he hasn't had pellets before and is just super excited for them because he loves them.

My rabbits go crazy for the pellets too. They have unlimited hay (refreshed twice daily) and 2-4 cups of daily greens.

Don't think he's being underfed just because he goes crazy for the pellets. It is like a kid getting all excited over candy or ice-cream. They just love it.

I use that to my advantage. I only feed the pellets at bedtime and that is how I get them back in their cage. (They are free range during the daytime)

1/4 cup total per day is recommended for a 5-7 lb rabbit. Too many pellets can make them eat less hay (and we don't want that to happen). The body score can help to adjust per individual rabbit's needs.

What is his weight? A purebred Californian that's 1 year old should be between 8-10 pounds, so initially I would think that 1/2 cup is okay. Is he neutered?

So I caved yesterday and just gave him a few giant handfuls of pellets (I'm guessing about 1 cup total for the day). For the first time since I've had him, he seemed satiated! I wonder if, due to his size (must be around 10 pounds) he simply needs more nutrition. His poopies looked more crumbly this morning than usual.

I will feel around his bones tonight. Do you guys think 1 cup is an excessive amount of pellets for a big bun? He is currently very large but still quite trim in figure. I don't think he is in immediate risk of being overweight. I might also shoot an email to the staff at the adoption center.

Cals are 'meat' rabbits, which means they should be big, round and firm to the touch on their loin. If he's getting overweight you can usually feel it on their belly because it will be soft from too much fat. I wouldn't let him get over 10 pounds...it would help if you could weigh him periodically. We find that, for the most part, our intact bucks have a higher metabolism and tend to eat more.

okay.. so you have a large breed rabbit and you are feeding him only 1/2 cup pellets per day?

Feed him 3/4 cup.

when mine are working they get a full cup. 3/4 cup is a good maintenance amount.

Back