brand new to bunnies!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJohnson

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Taren, I'm 16 years old, and just got a bunny for Easter. I named him Peter, so original, I know, haha.

Anyhow, I've been reading some stuff on the boards and I needsome major help on how to deal with Peter . He's a mini rex, and oh soadorable.He's five months old.I realized afterreading some stuff that I really didn't know much about keeping a bunnyhealthy and happy and everything, and i wuold LOVE it if you guys couldhelp out.

I need advice on litter box training, leash training or walking, food,cages, everything, lol. I wish my mom wouldn't have suprised me withhim that way I could have found this out BEFORE Peter arrived, haha,but I guess I just gotta learn all I can now!

So far he seems very sweet, hes pretty calm when it comes to me holdinghim and petting him, though he gets a little skittish sometimes andscratches, which hurts alot, haha. Mom tried clipping his nails todaybut she got too close on one and made him bleed...I wanted to cry, Ifelt so bad...so she stopped and decided that we'll just take him to avet and get it done. We were also thinking...can we get him declawed oris that not a good idea? I mean, he'll never be a wild rabbit, he'llalways live in the house, but does he need his claws?

I'm sorry I'm so clueless, but thats why I'm here, haha.

Also, what kind of cage and stuff should I get for him? He's in a dogkennel with shavings for now until I know what to get for sure, we havea bowl of water that i change a couple times a day, and a little bowlof food. I need major help, anything you can tell me is GREATLYappreciated, I want the best for my Peter :)I love him todeath already, haha. Thanks so much!

I hope these helps.Be sure to get back to me on the results.;)

Cages

Get one that the bunny is able to stretch out and hop around.It shouldbe about five times the length of your bunny and the bunny should beable to stand on its hindlegs without its ears touching the top.Itwould preferrably be one with a removable and washable pan.

Litter box

Try to get a litter box that is just slightly bigger to fit yourbunny.Use natural/organic litters ,like those made from wheatgrass,aspen or paper.Avoid cedar and pine as they are posionous to yourbunny.To start off, you may tempt the bunny by putting some hay in thelitter box.Encourage your bunny to pee or poo in the box.If thatdoesn't make him get the idea, place his droppings(outside the litterbox)into the litter box.He should be able to understand that.

Leash training

Rabbit leash and cat harness works well.If your bunny rejects them, give it a miss.

Food

Since your bunny is only five months old, feed him with pellets thatare high in protein to promote his growth.Supply him with unlimited hayand clean water.I encourage you to purchase water bottle with a metalball in the tip to regulate flow.Water in bowls gets easily spilled andending up with a wet rabbitand mess.Heavy food bowl canprevent your bunny from toppling over the food. Feed it with smallamount of green vegetables.

Grooming

Buy nail clippers meant for bunny(curved in at the tip).Take cautionthat you should avoid cutting the pinkish part of the nails.I thinkthat maybe you can visit the vet for a monthly grooming.In my opinion,I think that you shouldn't declaw the bunny because it wouldn't be ableto hop around the garden to have fun burrowing.It is its naturalinstinct to do that.Actually you can wear gloves to prevent beingscratched.

I was looking into getting them declawed but Iwould suggest NOT! It's cruel to them, they use their claws to donatural things like digging and holding on, taking that away from themis not a good idea. But this is just my opinion, what do the rest think?

No need for bunny declawing. How willthey run if they can't grip with their back claws? Hopefullyno vets do declaw rabbits.

You'll get used to clipping the nails. Once you do it a fewtimes, it gets easier. Read the post on "Nail Trimming" asthe subject.

-Carolyn

Tip on nail clipping- look for the red vain thatruns through the rabbits nails, once you see it make sure you cut wellabove the line, your mum probably just cut the nails a little to low.As for taking it's nails out i would strongly advise against it arabbit has claws naturally just like we have nails how you bought therabbit is how it should stay.

I am getting my fourth rabbit either tommorrow or later on in the week, i carn't wait?

I also advice you to spend as much time as you an petting it as it willthen come to like you and be more comfortable, at the moment it is newsurroundings and new owners spend as much time as you possibly can withit, it will benifit you in the long run.:)

As for food make it balanced, a bad of pet food from a shop, some fruitand veg and a little treat every now and again won't hurt aslong as itdosn't have too much.

Rabbits also like toys in their cages to help the rabbit entertain itself while you or your family are not around.

Most books will help you as well, if you are living in england DavidAlderton's books are available all over shops and librarys. Keep usposted on how you are getting on. Good Luck. Have Fun.

Catherine:D

Thanks you guys, you've been a great help. I am atmy dads right now and Peter is at my moms, so I called her and told hernot to get him an appointment to get him declawed, I don't want to messup his running or burrowing abilities. We'll jus thave to be carefulnext time we cut his nails and stuff, I hope it gets easier withpractice. I told my sister to pet him and talk to him while I'm gonesince I can't be there to mess with him rightnow. So anyway, thanks forall the help, I'm still going to read these boards and stuff, you guysseem to really know what you're talking about. :)

I agree witheverything everyone else has said. Just wanted to add thatfood is a very important part of your rabbit's health. Isuggest you look at all of the different kinds of pellet food that youhave available to you and pick the one with no colored pieces in it(like seeds or crunchy little carroty thingies), that has the highestfiber contnet (you can find that out by looking on the back of the bagand it should be 18% or more) and like dUtCh said with a high proteincontent. Be careful when you feed veggies, and it's best tostart out feeding only tiny amounts of veggies at first to avoiddiarrhea (um... I think I spelled that right).

By the way, when I first got myrabbit, I bought the book "Rabbits For Dummies". You know,one of those yellow 'For Dummies' books. Although the titlemight make you laugh, it actually has a TON of info in it that ispretty good! And it was easy to read and fairlycheap. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with yourrabbit! It'll definitely be a change for the family (I'm 19and I live with my parents and they're justgetting used tohaving the little guy in our lives)!

--Melissa and Umbra

Way to go, Taren! You're not having your baby declawed. There's reallyno need to. If you need some help in how to do it the first time ortwo, go to the vets and ask them to show you. First you should onlyremove a small portion of the nail and after the quick (vein) retreats,you can clip a little more in a day or two. You'll get there. It'sreally best for your rabbit to have it's nails. Running will be morefun and they can get a grip, and they can scratch an itch. Nails aren'tthe problem, but if they go unclipped, they can be painful and causeproblems for the rabbit. It's that need to chew that'll drive ya crazyif it's an indoor rabbit.

Make sure the rabbit can't get to electrical cords.

Everyone's given you good advice.

Welcome to the board. We're all happy to have you.

-Carolyn

thanks guys, I'm glad to be here. Anotherquestion...I remember seeing someone say they let their bunny chew onthe cardboard toilet paper roll things...is that bad for them? Likewhen they chew it up aren't they swallowing it too? I dont see how thatswallowing that cardboard isn't bad for them. I let Peter chew on onefor a little bit, but I took it away after a while because I don't wanthim eating it...please let me know about this. Thanks!

Cardboard won't hurt them, they can digest it justas easily as their food :) It gives them something to play with, andit's not deadly :)

It serves as a toy to them but don't let Peterchew on papers that are printed with lots of ink! They are toxic andbad for the bunny!

Latest posts

Back