Bunny death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2bunnies

Reaction score
My female of 7 years just passed yesterday. As I cleaned her pan that's under the cage, I noticed either no droppings from her, or they were white-ish. I noticed for about a week, she only ate carrots and hay, I have no idea what happened. What is tympanites?

I'm so sorry, 2bunnies. The following poem might give you some comfort when you think of your baby in heaven.http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

What a shock, but with the love you have for her, she was one lucky bunny to have you in her care for her life. She'll be there for you when your time comes to meet our Maker. Don't beat yourself up. She lived a long, happy, loving life. It was her time.

Tympanites is a distension of the abdomen caused by gas or air in the intestinal tract.

I never heard of white-ish feces. I'm hoping Pamnock or someone else can shed some light on that.

My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time. Take comfort in your rabbit having been loved and lived such a long life.

-Carolyn

I am sorry for your loss . . .

Tympanites is simply a distention of the abdomen, which can have any number of causes relating to fluid buildup or an intestinal blockage.

In rabbit years, 7 is rather old and it sounds like your girl had a good life. Many older does succumb from uterine cancer, but without a necropsy, her exact cause of death will remain unknown. I would certainly think it was age related.

As her heath was deteriorating and she was taking in less liquid, her urine would have become rather concentrated with a high mineral content. The white on the droppings was most likely calcium from her urine.

Pamela Nock ~ ARBA Registrar

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Hi Pam,

I'm so glad you were tuned in here. I knew you'd have the answer and I so appreciate your reply because this is something I never knew.

Thank you,
-Carolyn

Hello 2bunnies, I am so sorry to hear about the death of your sweet bun. Seven years is a long time to love someone, soI know that you are feeling a huge void. Keep visiting this forum and sharing your thoughts. The folks here are very helpful and understand how you feel.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Beckie

As I wrote last week my bunny of 7 years passed. I thought they lived longer. Actually my last female passed at 8 1/2, she was a rex I had given a home to for 6 years. My neutered male dwarf will be 9 on May 15th, now that Calliope passed I don't want to go to their cage, but Mr. Charlie {he's the 9 year old} misses me. I do and don't want to know their life expectancy. I also have a HUGE white rabbit that will be 5 on the 17th of March, don't know there breeds; just that I love them.

As hard as it is to deal with their cages and their areas, you must.Mr. Charlie needs you more than ever now. Do what you have to do to grieve, but don't ignore the others. It's okay to cry and be sad, but it's very important to thoroughly clean the area where the bun that passed resided in and extremely important to be there for your other rabbits and Mr. Charlie who doesn't understand what's going on. You don't want to stress or upset him by ignoring him.

Be strong, you can deal. You have to for the sake of the other rabbits in your care. Perhaps you can solicit the help of a family member or friend to be with you until you get more comfortable and used to the empty cage.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss, but don't let the loss of one rabbit take away from the attention and love you have to give to the others.

-Carolyn

2 bunnies,

I am so sorry for your loss. This must be very hard. Our pets often become like children to us and it is extremely hard to lose one. Keep your head up and be strong for the other buns. Take care.

Latest posts

Back