roofing noise?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaspberryRabbit

Reaction score
We are getting a new roof next week and wondering if bunny will be OK in the basement. I'm just not sure how much noise she can tolerate before becoming too stressed. She's afraid of the vaccuum, so roofing seems much worse! Any ideas? Thanks!

That depends on the rabbit- most would be fine in the basement during a roofing, but it might be helpful to play soft music or TV if that is something they are used to hearing. Most rabbits are afraid of the vacuum (mine are!) but roofing might be different. Just keep an eye on them for signs of ileus (not eating or pooping, sitting all hunched up). If that occurs, you might want to consult a vet if you have never seen it before or treated it before.

It really depends on the rabbit, I have to shoo mine away when working with power tools like a electric chainsaw, they would be between my feet all the time.
Haven't seen a rabbit that minds fireworks.

I would give them some treats when the racket starts, rabbits fear noises that they associate with danger, what they sometimes imho conclude (in mysterious bunny ways) from our behaviour, so getting treats may deter them from getting the idea that noise could be dangerous, just act normaly and not worried.

I just had a new roof put on last month.

The roofers had an opening almost immediately, so I didn't have time to relocate the rabbits to the basement or to buy a large table for their room for them to hid under (I figured the pounding would resonate through the whole house, so maybe additional shelter would work as well as moving them). My rabbits have a room on the second floor... right underneath the roof.

Honestly, I don't know how they handled it. The roof only took one work day, but I'm sure it was stressful for them. They have places to run & hide in their room, and have each other for comfort... they were a bit stressed when I got home from work, but they seemed to be mostly over it by bedtime. I think they just hid in a box or hutch while it was happening. (They probably thought the world was ending!)

If you have an extra bed, or something thick & heavy that can insulate sound, perhaps that would work. It would provide security of a tight space while muffling the pounding somewhat.

Latest posts

Back