Easter & Bunnies Don't Mix (info)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year when rabbit rescues try to spread the word about responsible bunny ownership.

I thought it might be handy for those of you who may have your own website or are on social media to have the following links:

First is the "Easter & Bunnies Don't Mix" web banner that can go on your website. It links back to the House Rabbit Society.
http://rabbit.org/link-to-our-easter-message/

Next is the "Make Mine Chocolate" Campaign to encourage people to opt for a chocolate bunny for their kids instead of a real one.
http://makeminechocolate.org/

Then attached is a poster that can be used however one wants as well.

These are ones of which I am aware. Perhaps others have further links from their country of part of the world that can be added to this thread.

stuffed and real bun compare.jpg

The lady in this video has several videos on taking care of rabbits, I've enjoyed watching all of them.

About Easter Bunnies for children:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZOvUKyeR6A[/ame]

Our last rabbit, Bunny, was a late September rescue from a city park. The Vet said this is a popular time for people to dump Easter bunnies. The cute little baby bunny bought as a child's Easter pet rabbit is grown by the time summer arrives. The responsibility for caring for a rabbit sinks in. They children go back to school in September and the rabbit gets dumped. Bunny was scared, but after some chasing around, my daughter in law caught her and brought her home. She was, and always was, such a nice rabbit. It was so cruel to dump her in a city park.

The lady in this video has several videos on taking care of rabbits, I've enjoyed watching all of them.

About Easter Bunnies for children:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZOvUKyeR6A[/ame]

Our last rabbit, Bunny, was a late September rescue from a city park. The Vet said this is a popular time for people to dump Easter bunnies. The cute little baby bunny bought as a child's Easter pet rabbit is grown by the time summer arrives. The responsibility for caring for a rabbit sinks in. They children go back to school in September and the rabbit gets dumped. Bunny was scared, but after some chasing around, my daughter in law caught her and brought her home. She was, and always was, such a nice rabbit. It was so cruel to dump her in a city park.

It goes for photographers as well. Our most recent addition was my photographers. I thought she borrowed the bun from a friend to use for the pictures as she had done on previous years.
Turns out she bought the baby just for the pics and figured she would find a home for it later.
I was SO mad.
But now we have a new super fluffy and sweet bun. Im not happy about how we have her, but I'm happy that we do.

I made these and shared them on Instagram - I'm seeing lots of comments lately about people wanting rabbits for Easter. Very frustrating.

Children can get hurt by a rabbit for a seemingly innocent behavior. My wife's 12 year old grandson, picked up Bunny and gave her a friendly hug. He had not previously had much contact with the rabbit. He got bit. It was not a nip, it was a real bite. Bunny sank her two upper incisors and two lower incisors into the skin web between his index finger and thumb. He was afraid of the rabbit after that.

I never pick up one of rabbits unless I have to. I put both hands under their "armpits" and quickly hold them against my chest or put their front feet over my shoulder, cup their hips in my left hand and and hold them against my chest with my right hand...so far so good. But going to set them down with both hands under their "armpits" they begin violently kicking as they're lowered close to the ground and have put some nasty scratches on my wrists and hands. Sharp claws and they are big rabbits.

Rabbits do make good pets for people convalesing (Spell?). :) After spinal surgery my wife pretty much laid or sat on the couch for many long hours for about two months. Bunny laid by her feet all the time. To repeat what I think everyone knows, bunnies like you to be near them, but except for a gentle back massage or forehead rub, they prefer not to be touched. This mitigates against them being good children's pets. IMO.

I believe that bunnies can be Easter gifts for the right people - responsible ,older people with bunny knowledge and experience.

People do often forgot that bunnies can cause serious injury :( My little brother once made the mistake of sticking his fingers into the cage of one of my hormonal little bucks - got the area between his fingers torn and there is still a scar to this day. That same rabbit also bit my friend and I've seen rabbit people on Facebook who have received stitches for their rabbit bites :eek:

I wish people would just be more knowledgeable when it comes to buying rabbits as pets.

i have a photo about it on my Instagram, all my other rabbit friends are spreading the info too! ;)

Thankyou very much, blue eyes for this thread. A rabbit plush toy may not be as exciting as a real bunny, but next easter, think about reconsidering! Its a ten year commitment, not a cuddly toy for a five year old.

Yes I totally support this! Just yesterday I was out shopping in town and a man had a table full of ducklings, chicks and bunnies! With a sign reading Easter Pets. I was disgusted and needless to say the smallest of the buns in the little cage came home with me to be a hopeful companion for my dutch Tundra! I see so many people online asking for bunnies for their kids and ive actually talked like 4 people out of buying them just by explaining what I do with Tundra everyday!

Latest posts

Back