new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zedsdead27

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I got a female bunny yesterday from an animal expo, shes about 3 months old i believe. Im currently sitting on my floor letting her jump around and explore. Shes still getting used to me but allows me to pet her when she comes by. I had a couple of questions
1. how do i litter train her
2. i was looking to harness train her? So that i could bring her outside with me in the summer. Not on walks but just so she could be with me while i read/tan/garden. I already have an out door run thing but shes small enough to get through the holes for now.
3. Can i teach her to come when called? Or any tricks
4. How do i pick her up without scaring her?

1) LOTS of hard work. Often the rabbits cannot be trained to poop in a box (especially if they are the very small breeds, like dwarves), but can be trained to urinate in the box. Every time she urinates outside the box, reprimand her gently (warning tone of voice) and soak it up with paper towels and put those in the litterbox. Once she uses the box, reward her with a treat! Every time. Spaying her may help with reducing territory markings.
2) Many rabbits are harness trained! Just go slowly- starting to introduce her to the harness piece by piece.
3) My rabbits 'out trick' most dogs- they come, go in their cages, give me kisses, stand on hind ends, spin, touch my finger with their noses all on command. And very well too. My male also will 'heal up'. So they can definitely learn tricks! But it takes a while and you have to learn what motivates them.
4) Some rabbits will NEVER like being held. Some tolerate it. I personally don't believe in scruffing rabbits, so I pick mine up under the chest and then support their bums with my hand until I can press them up against my chest (gently) so they can't kick. I also will often give mine treats for being held, since it's very unnatural for them to like being held!

Hopefully that helps and good luck!

I'll post directly after your questions...

Hello everyone! I got a female bunny yesterday from an animal expo, shes about 3 months old i believe. Im currently sitting on my floor letting her jump around and explore. Shes still getting used to me but allows me to pet her when she comes by.

I would suggest easing off. It is advised to leave a bunny in its cage for the first 48 hours. Moves are not only stressful for bunnies, but by allowing her in her cage for a full 48 hours, that allows her to establish the cage as her territory. I would highly suggest doing this starting now. (Consider it a do-over for bringing her home.) Establishing her cage as her own will be most helpful in many ways. It will help with litter training... she doesn't come out until consistent. And it helps her know what space is her 'safe haven.' If she has too much space right now, she won't know what space is "hers alone."

I had a couple of questions

Litter training is easiest once she's spayed. Spayed rabbits are most consistent. Females particularly ought to be spayed because of their high rate of cancer by age 5 if left intact.

Training can start immediately. Just provide a roomy litter box with litter and then topped with hay. 'How to' is explained in more detail here.

2. i was looking to harness train her? So that i could bring her outside with me in the summer. Not on walks but just so she could be with me while i read/tan/garden. I already have an out door run thing but shes small enough to get through the holes for now.

Harnesses can be quite tricky. Only a few are considered safe. There are threads here on RO explaining which to avoid. But runs are your better option. Rabbits can panic from anything as simple as a passing overhead shadow (from a bird). That panic can cause a bolt reaction that can result in serious injury to neck or back if bunny is in a harness.

Few rabbits tolerate being picked up. It isn't natural for them. They prefer lovings while on the floor (or if they happen to hop on your lap). This is why it is recommended to have the cage on the floor and in her usual exercise area. That way it is just a matter of opening her cage door to let her out for exercise. Reaching into the cage and taking her out is something that only babies tolerate -- for awhile. Soon the rabbit will learn to resist and resent being taken out forcibly. Best to let bunny hop out when and if she is ready.

To move her (say, for taking her outside to her run) use a carrier instead of carrying her in your arms.

I'm gonna copy/paste your questions and go through my experience with each topic. I'm not bunny expert, but I can at least offer my experiences from my first two buns to the three rescues I've got now.

I didn't even realize I could litter train my first two until like.. almost two years after the fact. I was eighteen or nineteen, and we only ever had a pet dog. I was literally learning as I go. Spayed/Neutered buns are definitely easier to litter train. I lucked out with my first two. My male never sprayed or peed outside of his cage. My female had bladder issues after a major health scare after a couple months, but she always gave me a cue to go off of that let me know she had to go. The buns I have now, aside from one, are fixed. Luke was horrific; he was a sprayer, peed wherever he wanted, and more or less refused his litter pan. (He always was found as a stray and had been on the streets for who knows how long.) Once I got him neutered, it was a world of difference. You may be best off getting your bun spayed/neutered. My first two buns seemed to be a bit of an exception.

In my novice bunny owner days, I got a harness without looking into any risks. I figured it was safe if it was offered on pet store shelves. (Please dig around on here to see what ones are considered safe.) I slowly introduced my male, Caramel, to the harness I had gotten. I checked the fit, let him wander my room with just the harness on, and eventually took him outside. He was frozen and hardly moving for about an hour before he started to explore and check things out. One of the only times he ever went fearless-mode, he went to bolt. The leash for the harness was a 'stroller' leash, and when he reached the end of its stretch, it flung him back at me. I was a panicked mess. I never used it again. Pretty sure I threw it out the second I got back in the house.

So the bunny run may be the best bet once your bun is big enough to not slip out or escape. Just make sure to take your time with introducing new things. My first two buns were heavily bonded with me before I started to do introduce all sorts of things to them. The only thing I put a focus on was getting them comfortable with the car. Caramel used to sprawl out and flop on my passenger seat outside of his carrier, to the point I actually did do away with a carrier for him and my female, Chocolat. (I do *not* recommend doing this, in hindsight. They ended up with carriers at the vet's request, for their safety in the lobby.) The three buns I have now all have carriers, because I got them well past their baby days- and I am not their first owners.

Seriously, YouTube videos on this. My dutch, Luke, does respond to his name. He will stand up on his hind legs for treats. My lionhead, Harriett, is just a wee old lady and I won't try to teach her tricks. She's most content with endless chew toys to destroy seemingly overnight. And my dear lop, Sweet Pea, is about playing hide and seek with my dog. I've seen videos of the tricks people have taught their rabbits a series of tricks. It is astounding, but I'm sure it takes time and patience.

Most rabbits do not like being picked up, and they will fight you on it. I refer to myself as having been stupid lucky. I had fellow bunny owners on my Facebook telling me their bun would never let them pick them up or hold them the way I could hold my Chocolat. Caramel, however, was hardly comfortable being held. If I was sitting down on the couch, he'd be more content with perching himself on my shoulder, if only because the back of the couch was right there to escape to. He was more run by anxiety 24/7 whereas Chocolat was just all about cuddles and being cradled. I couldn't do any of that with Sweet Pea, Luke, or Harriett. Harriett, when held, will snuggle into the crook of your arm to be comfortable. Luke wants to be picked up, have you rub your nose against his, give head pets and smooches. He's the mush. Sweet Pea doesn't particularly care for being picked up these days; it has to be on her terms. Every bunny is different though, but don't force it on the bun... And certainly do not be upset if they don't ever want to be picked up. I would get bummed out over Sweet Pea not letting me pick her up, because I was spoiled by my first two rabbits- who both seemed to be exceptions to a lot of the bunny rules. lol.

Just know they'll come around over time as you bond. Eventually, your bun will approach you and maybe even come onto your lap for pets. Some buns are easy to bond with while others take more time. It depends on their personality. Caramel was a permanent ball of anxiety, but he could still associate safety with me, or even my father whom he bonded with later in his life. Whereas, Sweet Pea couldn't care less about anything, but if she spots you while running loose, she will approach and bop you with her head saying she wants your attention and pets.

But you've definitely got plenty of people willing to guide you when you need it and answer any questions you have here. ;] I'm sure some of the folks on here may cringe at some of my earlier experiences and own doings with my first two buns, but I've learned a lot since then and cringe at some of it myself. :embarrassed:

thank you so much to everyone who responded : ) . I decided on the name Gidget, she is a very sweet bunny. I opened her cage door today and she hopped right out! I have half of my room closed off so she cant get under my bed/ in my closet . Me and her are already best friends, she came to my lap for cuddles and slept for a little bit. I am so happy she is happy. And as with the litter training, she is doing well. She is using the box i put in her cage as well as the rest of her cage, but mostly the corner! . She is a very fast learner, so far no accidents outside of the cage : )

Sounds like a brilliant bun you've got there already! :D

If she's still young, I would research and find a reputable exotics vet. I was lucky enough to be working in a pet store and had a customer recommend a specific vet for me to go to-- right down to the specific technician's name. It never hurts to know where to go in case of an emergency. Set some funds to the side for the bun's health; there's no knowing if you'll ever need it... And it's definitely a good thing to have just in case. That, and spaying is definitely the route to go. I feel I may still have had my first two for another two years or so at least, had I gotten them fixed. Especially my princess, Chocolat, and she had outlived Caramel by several months. She hardly made 7yrs. Caramel missed seven by a few months.

The litter use also improves dramatically once spayed or neutered, too. Like I mentioned in my previous post, or at least I think I did mention it, Caramel was some dumb serious dumb luck when it came to his using his litter pan in his cage. He wasn't neutered, but he took to it real quick. Chocolat was horribly stubborn most her life about using her litter pan but then... Fast forward to August 2016 when I brought Luke and Harriett home. Luke, unaltered, spraying and peeing wherever he pleased. He was horrific until he got neutered. I swear getting him neutered made him into a substantially tidier rabbit. Lol.

I wish, at the beginning, with my first two that I had done a better job of setting aside a fund for my buns. Again, I was 18 or 19 at the time, and it was a paycheck-to-paycheck kind of life for a while there. Now I've got three buns, and I can take them to the as needed. If something is even *slightly* off or makes me double-take with these guys, I'm racing to the vet full speed ahead. Sometimes I think it's me overcompensating for everywhere I feel I went wrong in the past, but with buns it's better safe than sorry~ x] :bunny18

Latest posts

Back