Bonding or not? Neuter or not?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

__DD__

__DD__
Reaction score
I have a one year old Buck; As far as his temperament he is relaxed, content, binkies alot, loves his food. Has taken a liking to my sofa, where he shares it with me and the family, and hops up of his own accord.
I know I will need to get him neutered to get him a friend; However, I am not sure if he is lonely or not? Or even if he needs to be neutered.
He isn't displaying any negative behaviour that I can see, and seems quite content doing his own thing - But saying that i'm not a bunny whisperer!

So the questions here are do I need to get him a friend or not? And if so how long after neutering would I need to consider before introducing another bunny for the bonding process?

Many bunnies can be perfectly content living as single bunnies -- especially when they are getting plenty of attention and exercise.

If he has no behavior issues (hormonal behaviors) and you intend to keep him single, then there is no pressing need to neuter him.

If you do intend to bond him, then he would need to be neutered. Best to wait 8 weeks post neuter before introducing him to some other spayed rabbits.

I tend to err on the side of neuter regardless. It can, if you have the money for the neuter, reduce future problems (it's much more important in females). But that's a personal choice.

if he gets enough attention, i think he'll be fine. My bunny is a single bunny, but i did have to neuter him to do hormonal issues. i think neutering makes things a lot easier. But it is your choice, even if he is not showing hormonal behaviors, litter training is super easy lol. (females, i would strongly suggest to spay, males, if it were me, i would neuter.)
i do think even male bunnies, when neutered, live longer too.

if he gets enough attention, i think he'll be fine. My bunny is a single bunny, but i did have to neuter him to do hormonal issues. i think neutering makes things a lot easier. But it is your choice, even if he is not showing hormonal behaviors, litter training is super easy lol. (females, i would strongly suggest to spay, males, if it were me, i would neuter.)
i do think even male bunnies, when neutered, live longer too.

He is already litter trained, so i'm not too worried about that. I Was wondering if it was an age thing as well? My friends Buck is about 3-4 and he seems to mount anything, Meadow ( My buck) is about 1 year old and hasn't shown any signs of wanting to do anything similar.
I have had previous bucks before him who I haven't neutered; one lived till about 8-9 years, the other about 7-8. I Was too young to remember how old our doe lived till. Hm.

So I was thinking about seeing how he progresses through time? Perhaps he is too young to be considering processes of mating? I really don't know!

my bunny started mounting when he was around 5 month-6 months, so i'm not quite sure.

If he's a male for sure and that he doesn't exhibit any problematic behavior, you don't need to neuter him (cancers linked to hormones are not all that frequent in male rabbits). You can do it if he ever starts. Of course, as you already know, if you decide to get him a friend (a female - don't even attempt it with another male) you'll have to neuter him.
Getting another rabbit is your decision. Some rabbits don't do well alone (it's the case of my Aki), but others can live on their own as long as they've got a lot of attention. Personally, I think it adds a lot to a rabbit's life to interact with another rabbit and a bunny friend can be a great support when your rabbit becomes sick or old or is in a stressful situation like a trip or a visit to the vet. But well, a rabbit who always lived alone doesn't know what he is missing so I don't think it bothers him. A second rabbit can be a great addition to your family, and watching two rabbits interact and cuddle is a real joy, but considering that your rabbit seems to live OK on his own, take another one only if you want to (for you, I mean). Take into consideration the fact that the bonding process might be difficult and that the rabbit you'll end up with won't necessarily be as people oriented and friendly as yours seem to be. It never bothered me, but the 2nd rabbit I got was more Aki's rabbit than mine ^^

If he's a male for sure and that he doesn't exhibit any problematic behavior, you don't need to neuter him (cancers linked to hormones are not all that frequent in male rabbits). You can do it if he ever starts. Of course, as you already know, if you decide to get him a friend (a female - don't even attempt it with another male) you'll have to neuter him.
Getting another rabbit is your decision. Some rabbits don't do well alone (it's the case of my Aki), but others can live on their own as long as they've got a lot of attention. Personally, I think it adds a lot to a rabbit's life to interact with another rabbit and a bunny friend can be a great support when your rabbit becomes sick or old or is in a stressful situation like a trip or a visit to the vet. But well, a rabbit who always lived alone doesn't know what he is missing so I don't think it bothers him. A second rabbit can be a great addition to your family, and watching two rabbits interact and cuddle is a real joy, but considering that your rabbit seems to live OK on his own, take another one only if you want to (for you, I mean). Take into consideration the fact that the bonding process might be difficult and that the rabbit you'll end up with won't necessarily be as people oriented and friendly as yours seem to be. It never bothered me, but the 2nd rabbit I got was more Aki's rabbit than mine ^^

Thank You for this. Yes, I will see how he goes over time. I enjoy investing time into him, and perhaps I spoil him a little because he is on his own.
I will give it until next year, perhaps. If his behaviour remains the same perhaps he is better off as a spoilt bunny!

:) :) :)

You're very welcome ^^. Yes, you can just wait to see how it goes. You can always decide to get another rabbit in a few years (my current bunnies are 4 years apart and they get on really well).

Latest posts

Back