Should I get another rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amame

Reaction score
I just lost a rabbit a week ago and my Maria is all alone. Is is wrong of me to want to get another one to keep her company? Or should I give Maria away? She has already lost two friends.. I just hate seeing her by herself.

This is a tough one amame. My guy is 8 years old and has always been by himself. I often think I should have gotten him a bond. Maybe still should. In your case, since you seem to want another, and there are bunnies looking for forever homes, I would go ahead and try again. House rabbit society in dc/md/va offers bunny bonding for free as part of the adoption process. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/HRSBaltimoreDC/ Their website seems a bit wonky today. :( You could also consider fostering for a lesser commitment, but that may compound Maria's separation anxiety.

This is a tough one amame. My guy is 8 years old and has always been by himself. I often think I should have gotten him a bond. Maybe still should. In your case, since you seem to want another, and there are bunnies looking for forever homes, I would go ahead and try again. House rabbit society in dc/md/va offers bunny bonding for free as part of the adoption process. Check them out at https://www.facebook.com/HRSBaltimoreDC/ Their website seems a bit wonky today. :( You could also consider fostering for a lesser commitment, but that may compound Maria's separation anxiety.

Thank you. I will look into that. Maria has always had a rabbit friend since the first day I brought her home. So I am a bit worried about how she is without a rabbit friend.

A rabbit should always have time to grieve before attempting a new bonding anyway (about a month to avoid confusing the rabbit and making her reject a new potential partner). So I think you should see how she copes during that time before making a decision. But 'giving her up' and changing everything about her life is bound to unsettle her even more - for me, it's a decision you have to take only if you really have no other option left and you can't take care of the rabbit at all, which doesn't seem to be your case. If she doesn't do well without a friend, it should be obvious (my rabbit, Aki, becomes a bundle of nerves and can't settle down when she's alone : she's jumping around constantly and shudders and doesn't lay down ever - it started immediately after her friend died even though she didn't witness it ; I knew a rabbit who was crying out everytime someone tried to touch him after his bunny-friend died). Some rabbits do well on their own. Try to keep an open mind and to really evaluate how she is doing. If you want another bunny or that she doesn't seem to do well, I agree with MaryAnne and say look at rescues : you won't have to take a baby which would be inconvenient and the commitment won't be as long if you take a rabbit that's around your rabbit's age.
Is your rabbit spayed? At her age, I hope she is, but you never know...

Latest posts

Back