How to get a rabbit to like water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steph66419

Reaction score
My rabbit gets sticky stuff on him but he won't let me give him a bath. How can you get a rabbit used to water?

Bathing a rabbit in water is not recommended. Rabbits can be literally scared to death (so frightened they have a heart attack and die). It's usually recommended to use a damp cloth or give a dry bath where you rub cornstarch in and then brush it out if they have a messy bottom.

What is the sticky stuff your rabbit has access to?

It isn't surprising your rabbit doesn't like baths, which is simply because rabbits shouldn't be bathed! There are many cases where rabbits have been scared to death as well as got pneumonia so bathing is a definite no no.

Why do you want to bath your bunny? If it is because he is dirty he may have a problem which needs consulting by a vet as rabbits are very clean animals and groom themselves and each other very well. If he has got fleas etc. a good spot on can get rid of them or for ticks special tweezers should be used to remove them.

Sorry only just saw why....

Hmmm... Sticky stuff? If it was some kind of dirt your rabbit should clean it himself or his companion unless he has behavioural problems which is unlikely. If the sticky stif is causing him discomfort get some cotton wool dip it in warm water and wipe it away. Where about is the sticky stuff? Is it not sticky poop stuck to his bottom? If this is the case use the above methods ASAP as he is at risk of fly strike.

A rabbit should never need to be bathed, and they will never get used to water. They can keep themselves perfectly clean on their own. However, if something does seriously soil their fur or would be harmful to them if licked off, I think a bath is a necessary evil. But I would never soak a whole bunny, only use an inch of warm water for butt baths or running just the soiled section under a warm tap for spot fixing.

I agree with the others; what is this sticky stuff you speak of and why is your bunny regularly getting it on his fur?

He doesn't regularly get it on his fur. I was petting him and its stiff like if you get sticky stuff in your hair. I'm not sure what it is. But I'll take a washcloth and wipe it away. Thank you everyone

Too much YouTube will do this to a person. Listen here, no matter what the internet tells you NEVER submerge your rabbit in water.
You can go to the baby section in Target and pick up a little microfiber bathing cloth for not very much money. Use that with a neutral pH non-toxic, safe for humans soap and some lukewarm water to gently wipe debris away from bunny's coat.
Rinse the area well as not to leave any residue behind.

It is ok to bum bathe the buns bum in warm water to remove any poo stuck to the bum. Am I correct? As long as you aren't completely wetting your bun??

I know I am taking my bun to the vet, I am just making sure that giving her a bum bath is ok? Because that's the only option I have to get it off...

Well when I had my old bunny Oreo, she was a lion head and she had poop stuck on her butt all the time. I would have to give her a bath but she didn't mind it. My bunny now just freaks out. So I don't give him one

All different personalities, likes & dislikes I guess huh!
Phoenix is going for a little holiday tto the vet tomorrow for the day so they can figure out what's wrong with her.

Latest posts

Back