Mother rabbit not going in litter box anymore?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
My rabbit gave birth about 4 days ago and ever since has stopped using her litter box!! I have a nice laundry room/utility room that she used to like to sneak into and play in. My mom bought this huuge $100 dog bed for her old dog that passed away and my dogs didn't have any interested in it but my rabbits LOVED it so I put it in the laundry room and she would go play in it and sleep in there. Well the pregnancy was unexpected and when she started nesting I put her in that room. She started gathering hay and moving it to her litter box but ended up nesting and having the babies in the box I made for her. But ever since she has been peeing and pooping in this giant bed!! I took it out and cleaned everything with vinegar (I'm hoping this is the safest thing to use in there that will disinfect!) so with that gone I thought maybe she would go in her litter box, nope it's all over the floor where the bed was. I've tried all the tactics I used to originally potty train her but nothing is working. Anyone have a clue why she's doing this and if it will stop? I have no problem cleaning it for the time being but she is peeing so it's leaking under the washer 😝

Also I posted on here a couple days ago that she wasn't feeding the babies for a couple days after they were born. After I held them and she reluctantly let them eat she started feeding them on her own! They are now all nice and fat and happy and starting to get a little fuzz 😍 the only one I've had to keep my eye on is the runt, he was eating at first but now he's missing meals so I had to help him out this morning so hopefully he will be okay. The pic of the one in my hand is him after he ate this morning, he looked like he may have gotten a little dehydrated, has anyone ever had the runts survive? View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428935776.772650.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428935793.033288.jpg

Can't help with the litter box problem, as none of ours are litterbox trained. To keep the little one alive will require extra effort to make sure he is getting enough milk. The others will edge him out and he will quickly lose strength. Maybe the doe would let him get an extra feeding in by himself, but you might have to hold her for that. Even with the extra effort he might not survive. Just try and hope for the best!

Latest posts

Back