How much water is normal??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
Hi everyone my 15 week old mini lol drinks a lot of water!! How much water should they be drinking?

Would really appreciate if someone could get back to me with an answer thanks :)

Depends on the time of day. My 2 rabbits may go the whole day and seem to completely ignore their water. Then, over the night time, they will drink both of their bowls almost dry.

When they do drink their two bowls (two rabbits), each bowl is 20 oz of water.

Compared to cats and dogs, rabbits actually drink a lot of water for their size. For example, in Quesenberry & Carpenter's Ferrets Rabbits and Rodents, it suggests that rabbits should drink 50-150 mL of water per kilogram of body weight pet day. This will vary with temperature, humidity and of course diet. For example, rabbits who get a lot of greens will get some of their water that way whereas those who eat mostly pellets and hay will need more water.
I like to offer water in both a bowl and a bottle. I find that rabbits drink more water from a bowl than from a bottle. Changes in water intake can be seasonal or can indicate a problem, especially a kidney issue, but I wouldn't expect issues like that in such a young rabbit.

My little girl doesn't get any greens at the moment but will be introducing them to her when I sort out her soft poo problem. She only has a drink bottle and will drink 170 ml in one night plus a lot more through the day... I feel like I am always re-filling her drink bottle.
So this is normal?

170 ml isn't quite 8 oz. My rabbits can drink 20 oz each in one night. I would suggest a larger bottle and/or a bowl.

I have also found (like missyscove) that my rabbits drink more from a bowl than from a bottle. I had one rabbit that made it abundantly clear that he was frustrated trying to drink water by the drop from a bottle.

I use bowls that twist onto a clamp that attaches to the cage. That way it cannot be spilled.

Also consider that her bottle may be leaking. I'm not sure how much she weighs at this point but it doesn't sound too alarming to me.
I actually use both a bottle (that they rarely touch but it's there as a backup) and a 1/2 gallon gravity waterer for my bonded pair. I like the gravity waterer because I don't have to refill their water as often and know they have more than enough.

You should also provide a ceramic crock(bowl) for your rabbit to drink from. They like to drink from a crock and will drink more water.

The average normal water intake for rabbits is 50-150 mL/kg body weight daily. This is the general expectation of water consumption, since rabbits that are fed large amounts of water-containing foods, such as leafy vegetables, will drink less water than those that are on a dry diet of hay and pellets.

If your bun is excessively drinking and is excessively urinating then that could be signs of diabetes, kidney failure, large quantities of sodium chloride etc. However looking at the previous comments your rabbit is drinking a normal amounts so I wouldn't be worried😉

NOTE: first paragraph we not my own.

Every rabbit has different water needs. This may just be her normal. I would worry, however, if she never used to drink that much and this was a recent drastic increase in water intake, or if her intake keeps rising. As others have said, that could indicate kidney problems or diabetes.

Since she's going through a lot of water, be sure to give her bum and inner hind legs regular checks for loss of fur/urine burn.

Every rabbit has different water needs. This may just be her normal. I would worry, however, if she never used to drink that much and this was a recent drastic increase in water intake, or if her intake keeps rising. As others have said, that could indicate kidney problems or diabetes.

Since she's going through a lot of water, be sure to give her bum and inner hind legs regular checks for loss of fur/urine burn.

Agreed. However I don't think her bunny is going through any unusual amount of water from her description.
(good cautions, nevertheless)

Back