Adopting a Dutch

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffybuns

Reaction score
It brings me great joy to share with you all the news that my fiancé and I are applying to adopt a lovely little girl! Her name is Laverne, she is 1 year old, Dutch rabbit, spayed since January, found abandoned this past winter and has since been living at Greenhill Humane Society in Eugene, OR. She's litter box trained and microchipped already.
Oh my dear lord she is so sweet and cuddly. She let me pick her up with no complaints and looked up at me with the cutest little face she could muster.
She even likes my Mini Rex, Melvin. (Even though he was quite rude at first and tried to mount her head). She didn't seem to mind Melvin's rudeness too much. Mostly she nose bonked at him and chased him around the pen sniffing at him. Melvin was super shy around her and would nose bonk her then run and hide behind the rabbit expert lady who was handling the bonding session.
Anyway, we are super excited to share our home with a new bun. If all goes well, we should be able to bring her home sometime next week!!
I've never had a Dutch rabbit before, she certainly seems cool and collected. I've got to start preparing for the new girl!
View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1427820347.182234.jpg

Last edited:
We sent in the application today. If all goes well we should be bringing her home Monday, right after Easter! We are so excited. She is ridiculously sweet.

Dutch rabbits are spunky, fun-loving, and very cool rabbits. My first rabbit was a Dutch, I have had a fair few, and my Trixie is a Dutch.

Congrats on your upcoming adoption.

Thanks everyone! We are stupidly excited about welcoming Laverne into her new home. Of course, it's not set in stone yet. We have to pass the application process as the humane society is super picky about who they let adopt their animals. They have to check us out pretty good before they'll even consider handing her over. I think we'll be fine, we don't have any kids, she will live inside the house with us and our Mini Rex, we both have jobs that don't overwork us so we can spend plenty of time at home. Anyways, keep y'all's fingers crossed for us and we'll be a shoe-in hopefully!!!

Yay! We just got the word of approval today regarding Laverne's adoption!!! I'm so excited, we are going to pick her up and bring her to her new forever home this MONDAY! Squeeeeeee

Omg, we brought Laverne home on Tuesday and boy has it been a CRAZZAY week. These two have been a total handful!! Laverne seems pretty shy still as she hasn't quite fully adjusted to the change. She lived at the bunny shelter for 4 months before coming home with us. Before that she was an abandoned bunny this last winter in a neighborhood (just like my Melvin).
Her and Melvin had several bunny dates and bonding sessions before I let them have at it.
Mostly, Melvin is like an awkward little boy around her and doesn't quite know what to do. I got mad at him yesterday when Laverne was opening up to my fiancé and letting him snuggle her and Melvin thumped his foot then scratched at Laverne and scared her away! I have never seen Melvin act so darn rudely!

Latest posts

Back