Rabbits first litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swarning1222

Reaction score
So I got a surprise this morning, my rabbit has been acting strange for a few days and since I am VERY careful to not let her and my male together I assumed it was a false pregnancy. Just incase I put her in a quiet room and gave her a nesting box, well I woke up to six babies this morning. I've been readin online about their first litters and every site I've seen says she will be a terrible mother and abandon them. Is this true?! Is there anything I can do to ensure she will take care of them? I know to check their bellies to make sure they're eating and that she will only feed them twice a day. She finished having them about an hour ago so right now she's just eating and relaxing and acting like their not there (which I believe is normal) I don't want to see these babies die!

Also, like I said I am VERY careful to not let the male and female together (and he has an appointment to be neutered in a couple weeks) they have full run of the house but I only ever let one out at a time, he's a mini Rex, is it possible at all that this happened through the cage? They both have pretty large cages and I don't think that's possible, I have no idea how this happened!!

Also she is still bleeding a tiny bit. Just a drop here and there, is this anything to be concerned about? And how can I make sure she has milk? That would just be a given right?

This is awesome!!! I breed mini lops and I can promise you that the Internet is wrong. All of my rabbits first litters were completely healthy. Some of the bunnies do die sometimes for no reason at all... So don't think it's the mothers fault. She will feed them when she wants to... And normally will do it at night and really early in the morning. The blood is nothing to be concerned about. Of she keeps bleeding for the next day then it is something to be concerned about. How your bunny got pregnant is a mystery. I have never heard of it happening through the cage before, but it could be possible. Even if your male only mounted your female for a few seconds she could of gotten pregnant. Once again, there is nothing you should worry about. With all my breeding I have seen everything you are seeing and it all looks familiar. :) congrats on the new bun!!

Rabbits can breed through bars and first time mothers are a toss up. If she feeds them within the first two days then she will probably be a fine mother. Baby rabbits cannot survive more than 48hours without milk.

Being born healthy is usually the biggest issue with first time mom's so it sounds like you're starting out good.

Thank you so much this made me feel ALOT better!! I finally went and looked real good to make sure they were all ok and all SEVEN (more than I was hoping lol) look healthy, although one is really tiny so hopefully he will make it. Now my only worry is how to tell my boyfriend how we just went from 2 rabbits to 9 lol. View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1428611902.282627.jpg

Back