Pellits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby_Rosie_Cilantro

Reaction score
Rosie is now fully grown, should I start giving her more hay, fruits, and veggies, and start giving her less of the store bought pellits?

The smaller breeds finish growing around 6-7 months. That's one person's opinion. Yes, you probably should reduce the amount of pellets your giving but you certainly don't need to stop them completely unless she's having digestive problems. Most people who start giving their rabbits veggies do reduce the pellets.

I would reduce the pellets slowly as you start feeding fruits and veggies to about a 1/4 per every 5 lbs. Pellets have many minerals and vitamins they still need so I would still feed in small amounts. It is possible to not provide pellets, but you would need to do a lot of research to make sure your rabbit gets the right nutrition. I have noticed as my bunnies get older, I'm constantly having to make small adjustments here and there and each rabbits diet is a little different.

For example, out of my bunch 3/4 can't eat curly kale, 2/4 can't eat dino kale, but 4/4 can get red russian. I keep a long spreadsheet with all the details and date of when/why I've had to make the changes and what not. Start small and pay attention to their stool about an hour after they eat and make sure to look out of gas. It's pretty common for new stuff to give bunnies gas and gas can get really uncomfortable for bunnies so be careful.

A rabbits metabolism does change as they become adults and after they get neutered. This does mean they can need a diet change to avoid getting fat. A timothy based pellet is good, but cutting down on the amount also helps. Young rabbits do tend to get more than adults since they are growing.

Latest posts

Back