3 day old kits, 1st litter, help needed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsquackie

Reaction score
Hello!

I've bred my Holland Lops in my 4h project. Mom and dad are both BEW carriers, so I can't wait for babies to open their eyes!

This is my and the does first litter. She had 10 kits total, two were stillborn, one she ate, the other she left. I disposed of those.
Today is the 3rd day, and I fully inspected all the kits, two of them have one ear chewed off, probably by mom?

What should I do with these two? One of them is the runt and the other is one of the bigger babies.

Are there any issues with keeping them in the nest box? It looks like the wounds are clotted and she probably did this when they were born, but I don't want maggots to be attracted. Is this a common thing? I know they would have to go to strictly pet homes, I just don't know what I should do about them.

Also, mom is very anxious today, and keeps trying to jump out of the cage and or biting where the latch is. Is that normal? I tried taking her out and putting her in the run for a bit, but she didn't seem happy there either, shes acting a bit crazy.

ANY AND ALL ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! <3

Holy cannoli 10 is very big for a holland litter. I have seen babies with one ear and even a baby with no ear. They can survive but I'm not sure there's much you want to do in the way of treatment. Try to do anything to prevent flys from being around your rabbits and hopefully there won't be a maggot problem. I haven't had a mother mutilate her babies yet though so I don't know how much of a problem maggots can be. Babies heal pretty quickly and as long as there's a scab there's not much you can do.

Our moms usually get pretty anxious as well but it's more after the babies start escaping from the nest. I'm not sure what she's trying to tell you maybe others have better suggestions

I let her jump and run across the top of all the cages today. (I have a 6 cage hutch inside a dog run to keep cats away) And she stopped over the boys cage, so I pet her and she was lifting up her tail and bottom -.-

Back